Confessions Of An AMDA Student

Confessions Of An AMDA Student

It's not all show tunes and tap shoes.

9554
Confessions Of An AMDA Student
PBS

I get asked daily, "What is it like at AMDA?" and it's hard to give a proper answer to anyone who has never attended our school because, honestly, it's kinda insane. It's not your normal collage experience, I mean, you will never find Greek life on campus or the quarterback of our football team. (Ha!) We don't even have a lecture hall or meal plan. So, to help better your understanding, here is a list of the confessions of an AMDA student.

1. AMDA Is Really Just One Extended Audition Process

You got into AMDA, congrats! The hard part is over right? Wrong! If you thought the daylong audition to get in was hard, you're in for a big surprise. Before your first week of classes even start, you are required to stand in front of the heads of the school and perform as they place you in levels (Ranking 1 through 5, 5 being the highest level) As if that isn't stressful enough, once classes actually begin, you are in constant competition to dance better, sing higher and act stronger than you ever did before. After we graduate, our teachers can be the ones who hire use, because of that you have to constantly be "on." Impress one of them and you might get a job after graduation.

2. 8 a.m. Dance Classes Are Actually Hell

It's bad enough to have to sit in a classroom at 8 A.M., but having a two-hour dance class at 8 A.M. is ten times worse. First of all, there is a dress code so you can't just roll out of bed, and depending on your teacher, it can be very strict. Black leotard, tights (no holes) with matching shoes, hair pulled tightly back, makeup done, correct undergarments and don't forget your "lights." You are expected to arrive at least 10 minutes early to warm up, if you arrive at 8 A.M. the teacher will say, "Thank you. See you next class," and promptly dismiss you. And if you are late, don't even bother trying to come in the room, the door is probably locked, anyway.

3. Don't Worry, The Loud Sex Noises Coming From The Second Floor Is Just A VPS Class Tremoring.

Voice Production and Speech (or VPS as we like to call it) is the strangest class in the history of classes. In short, we are told to lay on the floor, tremor (or awkwardly shake our bodies around pretending we know what's going on) and moan to help find our "breath" and "tone." If you don't hear a loud "OOOHHH" or "UUUHHUUUUU" coming from a VPS room, it's probably because everyone is crying.

4. No One Actually Knows What AMDA Stands For.

American Musical and Dramatic Arts? American Musical and Dramatic Academy? American Music of Dramatic Arts? Honestly, I've heard every one of these thrown around the halls on a daily basis.

5. If Asked "You follow?", Say Yes... Even If You Don't.

At the middle and end of every semester, students are required to perform Dance Demos. Dance Demos are four and a half hours of standing in first position, wanting desperately to pick the wedgy caused by your tights while having to smile and not move an inch, all while being told instructions and asked "You follow?" after ever sentence. 90 percent of the time, you're not going to hear or understand the instructions, but you still nod your head and say yes no matter what, you follow?

6. We Secretly Fan Girl Over Our Teachers After Class

One of the best things about AMDA is the faculty. Most, if not all, of the teachers are working professionals, so don't be surprised if you're watching your favorite T.V. show one night and see the lead walking through the hallways of AMDA the next day. We all pretend it's no big deal, but when we are finally done with classes for the day we text pictures of our teachers that we saw on Broadway or Prime Time to each other and talk about how amazing we think they are.

7. We Actually Do Have Homework

Contrary to popular belief, performing arts students have just as much homework as any other college student. It's these little things called Character Analysis, Song Charts, Dossiers, Practicum and Standard Projects. A.K.A., 25-page biography about a fictional character, daily essays and a million research articles. On top of the hundreds of plays, librettos and books we have to read, we also have to rehearse each night and memorize four songs, two scripts and a monologue simultaneously.

8. Everyone Secretly Wears Their Dance Clothes More Than Once Without Washing Them.

I know what you're thinking. Trust me, we all think it. It's nasty, unhealthy and downright gross. But when laundry costs $2 a load and the coin machine breaks every couple weeks, a dancers gatta do what a dancers gatta do.

9. If Asked, "Can I have a cupcake?" The Answer Is Always "Eat it fast.."

During your first semester at AMDA, you do these little things called etudes. They are pretty much scenes about nothing that you have to turn into something and they are the bane of all first semester's existence... "Do you like my room?"

10. We Have No Sympathy for Other College Students Who Complain About Their Schedules, Because Ours Are Crazy.

8 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. on Mondays,Tuesdays and Fridays. 8 A.M. to 7:30 P.M. on Wednesdays and 11 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. on Thursdays is what a usual student's class schedule looks like. With about an hour break somewhere each day to eat or sleep in the hallways. This doesn't account for the extra classes offered in the evenings like stage combat and composition. And somehow after our 8 to 12 hour class days, we have to find time to book a studio and practice, work at our jobs, maybe get some food and if we are lucky, get to bed before 2 A.M.!

11. Yes, It Is Like Dance Academy... Sorta.

I get asked all the time if AMDA is like that Netflix series "Dance Academy," and in some ways, it is! We wake up every day and dance, we have relationships and have to find ways to solve our personal problems without letting it affect our class work. We build bonds with our teachers and other class mates and work hard for what we want. We pour every ounce of who we are into our performances and there are plenty of tears, just like the show. Although, we are not all auditioning for a spot with the National Ballet, we are working towards getting roles and positions with theatre companies at the end of our final semester.

12. At Least A Third Of The People Who Start, Wont Finish.

It's no secret that our school is hard, but you never really know how hard it is until you experience it. We all walk through the doors as wide-eyed hopefuls who have a love for the performing arts. Some people will find it's just a hobby, or they simply can't handle the pressure. That doesn't make them any less of a performer or a quitter, it just means this isn't for them. And that's OK.

13. We All Complain About AMDA, But Love It.

If you ever talk to an AMDA student, they will probably just complain about how tired, sore, hungry and emotionally drained they are. But, somewhere in the mix of all those things, if you listen carefully, you'll hear how much they love it. We are only here for a few semesters, after that, it's out in the big, bad world of being a struggling artist, waiting to finally get our big break. AMDA is not for everyone, but those of us who stick it out are thankful to our school for making us better, stronger performers and people.