Back to school hustle and stress

The September Struggle

Because 3 tests in a matter of 2 days is the struggle

12905
The September Struggle
Flickr

It is the beginning of October but most of us college students are still feeling the September Struggle. By this time, many of us have had at least one mental breakdown, 3 assignments due in one day, a Netflix show finished and sleep deprivation. I believe the 'September Struggle' occurs because of one main reason: our professors decide to make everything due in one week during this month. Granted, this is not the case for all but it sure seems like this is the case every year during this month. You always see it coming, but you never end up being fully prepared. After it's gone, it'll still leave you reeling for a little while, so take time to appreciate being able to breathe.

Going 0 to 60

During this month you don't spend countless hours doing homework at first. Then one week it all hits and you suddenly do not have enough time in the day to do all that needs to be accomplished. Then the 'September Struggle' hits and it hits hard. Next thing you know you'll be walking around struggling to stay awake in class and just trying to get through the week by any means necessary. However, it's all good cause your classmates next to you are in the same boat as you. Your professors all seem to decide at the same time that they have taught you enough to test you, have you give a presentation, write a paper, and do a group project, all in the same week. During the first bit, it seems easy to stay on top of everything. You may even be able to sneak some Netflix in. Reward yourself with a new series after you survive September.

September to October

Once October begins to show things begin to look up. You realize fall break is coming and become re-energized. You take a Friday afternoon to reorganize your life. You take another Sunday to catch up on all the work you have gotten behind on and all your favorite shows you have missed. You finally find the time to do all of the laundry you have missed between doing homework and curling up in your bed to try to get a few hours of rest before class. You begin to form a routine and actually stick to it.

As September begins to wind down and October begins to show things are beginning to look brighter and more manageable. Just make it to fall break but don't forget to begin study for midterms! Reward yourself for surviving September, but keep your eye on the prize: a decent GPA! And remember, you are not alone during the September Struggle. Maybe Billy Joel was right, but we can wake everyone up now that September has ended.