College Football Top 10: Week 11

College Football Top 10: Week 11

Multiple losses within the top 10 result in a huge shake up for this week's rankings.

5
College Football Top 10: Week 11

Wow, what a week for college football. The top 10 will receive a much-needed face lift as three of the top four teams from last week lost. The even crazier part is that two of the teams,Clemson and Michigan, lost to unranked opponents. Alabama and Western Michigan are the only two undefeated teams remaining, so what does that mean for the rankings? Let's find out:

1. Alabama Crimson Tide

No surprise here. Following a rough matchup against LSU in Baton Rouge, Jalen Hurts and company looked sharp as ever against Mississippi State. The Tide have put themselves in excellent position come postseason time and even received some help from an old coordinator. Thanks to Georgia's upset over Auburn, Alabama clinched the SEC West and can likely earn a playoff spot even with a loss in the Iron Bowl or SEC Championship.

2. Ohio State Buckeyes

The Buckeyes move up to No. 2 following this weekend's mayhem as back-to-back blowout victories seem to have Urban Meyer's team back on track. However, Ohio State is in a tricky situation following Penn State's recent resurgence. If Penn State wins the next two weeks and Ohio State beats Michigan, the Nittany Lions will go to the Big 10 Championship due to their head-to-head victory. While a one-loss Ohio State would still be considered for the playoff would they get in over an 11-2 conference champion? Probably not.

3. Louisville Cardinals

Louisville would surely earn a playoff spot if the season ended today, but one Clemson loss does not guarantee a spot will be open for the Cardinals when the regular season ends. I believe Louisville could get into the playoff over Washington, assuming they win the Pac 12, based on the fact that their only loss came in a close game against Clemson on the road. Lamar Jackson seems to have the Heisman locked up, so now it is time to see if he can lead his team to the playoff.

4. Clemson Tigers

A loss to an unranked Pitt team certainly hurts as the Tigers' finally got bit after flirting with disaster for most of the season. And as impressive as DeShaun Watson's 580 passing yards were, it is difficult to win when you throw three interceptions. The good news for Clemson is that they still control their own playoff destiny. Clemson is still positioned to head to the ACC Championship, where a victory should clinch the Tigers' playoff spot.

5. Michigan Wolverines

This time last year a 14-13 loss to Iowa would be considered a hard-fought battle. Fast forward a year and the Hawkeyes are no longer a playoff contender, but they still managed to beat a very talented Michigan team that struggled on offense for most of the game. Luckily, the Wolverines have a straightforward path to the College Football Playoff. As long as Michigan can win its next two games against Indiana and Ohio State, Jim Harbaugh will be preparing for the Big 10 Championship and a playoff spot.

6. Washington Huskies

After a tough loss to USC at home, Washington is no longer guaranteed a playoff spot. Washington will need to win its final two games in order to play for the Pac 12 Championship, and potentially earn a playoff spot. While a one-loss conference champion might seem like an obvious playoff team, the Pac 12's quality has decreased significantly this season. Can the committee justify giving a playoff spot to Washington over a Louisville team whose only loss would be to another playoff team?

7. Wisconsin Badgers

I feel like the Badgers may not be getting the attention they deserve this season. Obviously, the majority of attention within the Big 10 focuses on Michigan and Ohio State, but Wisconsin has been almost as impressive. The Badgers should find themselves playing for a Big 10 title against one of three teams, and they still have faint playoff hopes. If Wisconsin manages to win out and becomes Big 10 champions, they would likely earn a playoff spot. It may seem unfair if an 11-2 Wisconsin team was selected over an 11-1 Ohio State that did not play for the conference championship, but it could happen.

8. Penn State Nittany Lions

While it might be possible for a team ranked lower than this to make the playoff, it seems highly unlikely and we would have to experience another weekend just like this past one. With that being said, Penn State is the last team in my rankings that has a realistic shot at making the playoff. In fact, the odds are actually in favor for Penn State to win the Big 10 East. As long as the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions both win out, Penn State will play for a conference championship. Penn State and Wisconsin are in similar situations where the Big 10 champion would have two-losses, but would likely still earn a playoff spot.

9. Oklahoma Sooners

Either Oklahoma or West Virginia represents the Big 12's final hope of somehow sneaking into the playoffs. Fortunately, the two teams face off this weekend with the top spot in the conference standings at stake. The Sooners have a good opportunity to finish the regular season strong as they face top 15 teams the next two weeks. Unfortunately, it will likely be too little too late as a two-loss champion from a weaker Big 12 conference should be looked over in the final playoff rankings.

10. USC Trojans

The final spot this week goes to a much-improved Trojan team that went on the road and beat a top four Washington team. While I realize that USC has three losses and no real playoff hopes, I believe this team is currently playing at a top ten level. Quarterback Sam Darnold seems to have rejuvenated the Trojan offense and appears to be the program's next star. USC has won its last six games and looks to continue its hot streak against UCLA this week.