8 Things Broad City Has Taught Us About New York City

How Ilana and Abbi prepared the world for New York City living.

99
Flipboard.com

What is Broad City? Obviously, it's New York City, but have you ever really looked at the Comedy Central hit show's insight to NYC living? Let's talk about what to look out for while in the city with the help of our friends, Ilana and Abbi.

1. Be careful on the subways.

Hold on tight! Whether the train cars are packed or empty, make sure you have something sturdy to hold at all times. I am completely not subway savvy and didn't fully understand the concept of the metro card for a while. Trains can be scary when you aren't used to them and don't forget the wacky riders who inhabit them. From rats to singers, you will see it all on a NYC subway.

2. Don't go to the Upper East Side.

Abbi and Ilana were looking for Abbi's stolen phone and while using Find My iPhone, they realized the bandit was circling the Upper East Side. They walked carefully through the uppity area and couldn't wait to get out of there. The neighborhood holds a full change of scenery from the more familiar downtown streets of Manhattan. The city isn't all like the Upper East Side.

3. Everyone is a struggling artist.

Abbi posts her drawings in a sandwich shop to sell to customers. She even put them up in her chiropractor's office in hopes of being discovered, and with every sale of her artwork, she saves money on her co-pay. That's an awesome tip for all you struggling artists!

4. Tiny apartments

Moving to the city? Get used to less space. Studio apartments are the new one-bedroom and they cost more than double the price. Your bed, kitchen, dining room and bathroom are pretty much in the same spot. Say goodbye to your 900-square-foot apartment and get ready to have a closet-sized living space for a hefty price.

5. NYC cab drivers are fearless.

Everyone and their mother, father, and children are cab drivers now. They are taking over New York City and the younger they get, the scarier they drive. A kid drove Abbi and Ilana to the airport when they were stranded, running stop signs and almost hitting an older woman crossing the street with a cart of recyclables. It's either NYC Taxi drivers or the dreaded subway, take your pick.

6. Fashion is very different.

There's a lot of interesting fashion trends in NYC and Ilana definitely takes the cake when she shows up to work in a dog hoody. She claims it was from the "dog owner's side of the store" but it doesn't even matter. New Yorkers are known for their interesting style. I thought it was genius to wear boots with a dress back in the early 2000s and it's a trend nowadays, and I mean hiking-inspired boots. Gotta love New Yawk!

7. New Yorkers like to flirt.

If you aren't used to blatant flattery, New York isn't the place for you. Believe me, it gets worse than this. Whether guys are cat-calling from the bodega entrances or they are shouting at you from construction zones, you will be hit on. You can either walk away, or put them in their place like my best friend does. She pretends to throw up and screams out obscenities.

7. The city never sleeps.

There are literally parties everywhere, all-the-time! I remember heading into the city with my best friend and not really having any goal or destination. We visited a friend at Starbucks, took a train to Union Square for some food, and noticed a tiny hole-in-the-wall bar that advertised drink specials. We found out it was a karaoke bar! (I wasn't the karaoke star like my karaoke loving grandma!) Well my best friend and I sang, drank and decided to get our noses pierced. Just like that. Nose piercings at midnight on a Thursday. We marched for many blocks, got pierced, I nearly passed out, we walked back to the karaoke bar and sang our hearts out until the wee hours of four in the morning. Me, my best friend, our nose rings and my ice pack.

8. You need a best friend to handle the culture shock of NYC living.

With a best friend by your side, you can handle New York City without a problem. Ilana and Abbi get into the craziest situations while traveling the gritty chunks of the city but they somehow make it--how?--because they have each other.

I dedicate this article to my best friend, Shadonna--my NYC experience would never have been half the adventure if I didn't have you by my side. I love you!