The Mysterious Vector Letter: Is It A Scam?

You know you got one!

15987
bigcartel.com

If you’re reading this and you’re either in college or your last year of high school, you’ve probably heard of a company called Vector. Yes, the mysterious letter in the mail that promises $15 pay and making your own hours.They also do not directly state what the job involves in this letter or what the company actually is for that matter. Due to the vagueness of the letter, most people dismiss it as a scam. (That’s what I did!) Or, they become curious and actually contact the company to find out more details. This is where most people decide if they even want to pursue the opportunity or not. But, as I stated, I thought the entire operation was a scam and did not pursue it. (This happened last summer by the way.) However, last Sunday I was contacted by “Zimmerman and Associates,” which I thought was a new company, and I even obligated myself to an interview because according to them I was recommended for the position by a friend. I was very excited about this chance and so was my family. However, upon arriving at the building, I was met with dismay as the sign outside read: Vector. Another read “Zimmerman and Associates” under it.

Vector is a company that specifically targets teens and young adults. They use the appeal of high pay and “making your own hours” to make the job seem like easy money. These things are true; however, there is quite a process to get to that point in the first place. The interview process consists of three parts: A portion where the manager asks you three brief questions with three other people, a 90-minute presentation and then a final one-on-one interview. The final one is where you find out if you got the job or not. Since there were so many people there when I went in, the entire process took about three and a half hours. For some people this may not be worth it. After reading other reviews, I’ve noticed some people had interviews at places that seemed “shady” or “fly by night.” I cannot say the same for the building I was in, as there were various company posters on the wall as well as a few Ranking Charts for various milestones and achievements in sales.

The actual job that Vector offers is a Sales Representative. The product one sells is Cutco knives. You make appointments with people and meet them in their homes to sell them to the customer. But, you must furnish your own transportation to these locations and the company does not reimburse you for gas. Also, you must spend hours calling to set up these appointments and the time spent doing this is unpaid. On the plus side, you are paid $15 per appointment whether you make a sale or not. Overall, it depends on if you want to spend your time fully dedicating yourself to all aspects of the job. And most people don't want to put all that time into a summer job.

In conclusion, the Vector company is not a scam. However, if you do want the position you must consider all the aspects that go into it.