Brady Trumps Falcons, Goodell in the Greatest Comeback in Super Bowl History

The Patriots Complete the Greatest Comeback in NFL History

5
Business Insider

The greatest comeback in NFL history led by the greatest quarterback in NFL history. That is really the only headline you need to know from Sunday night in Houston, Texas. Tom Brady, with more doubters than ever, found himself down 25 points late in the third quarter. Looking up on the scoreboard, he saw his offense put three points up against a below-average defense who he normally handles with ease. Fans all over New England found themselves cringing at the thought of Roger Goodell sitting an his exclusive owners box loving every second of the Brady collapse. Even worse, handing the trophy over to Matt Ryan, once again succeeding in his quest to trump the greatest quarterback to play the game. There was no positive at this point. Brady had thrown a pick-6, The defense was consistently getting burned and there was really no hope in the stadium. But once again, slowly but surely Tom Brady proved his greatness.

It started with a Brady to James White touchdown in the third. Once again, almost instantly it seemed as the momentum had shifted right back to Atlanta as Stephen Gostowski missed yet another extra point. With the score being 28-9 after three quarters, it seemed the Falcons were ready to accept the Lomardi. But it seems Boston superstars and fourth quarters go pretty well together. After a quick field goal made it 28-12, it now seemed like there was a slight chance. That is, if New England got a stop on defense, two touchdowns with both two-point conversions and completely held “Matty Ice” scoreless in the 4th. All of New England at this point was thinking the same thing, “So you're saying there's a chance?”

Ryan took the field and was quickly taken off after a strip sack made by Dont’a Hightower gave the Patriots great field position to continue the comeback journey. A quick strike to Danny Amendola got the Patriots six, and the infamous “Kevin Faulk direct snap” was implemented for the conversion, but with a new face in James White. NRG Stadium in Houston started to get loud for the first time since Lady Gaga’s halftime show. The hope continued to build.

Once again Ryan took the field with a chance to ice it. After a 39 yard dump off pass to Devonta Freeman, once again the roller coaster of hope took plunge. But before New England fans had time to even worry, Ryan escaped the pocked and threw a dart towards the sidelines, which seemed uncatchable. Well, uncatchable to every other player in the league besides Julio Jones, who somehow made an acrobatic catch toe-tapping inches before the sidelines. Images of David Tyree, Mario Manningham and Jermaine Kearse ran through Patriot’s fans minds as once again, a signature catch was made that seemed to have beaten Tom Brady. Luckily, the play made it a first down, giving New England three opportunities to knock Atlanta out of field goal range. It started with a stuff of Freeman for a loss of three yards. Following that was what could go down to be one of the top plays of the game, in a sack by Trey Flowers which backed the Falcons up another 10 yards. After a holding call and incompletion, the Falcons were faced with a 4th and 33 and were forced to punt.

Brady was backed up inside his own 15 yard line with three minutes left. Down eight points, this would go down, regardless of the outcome as one of the most important drives and Brady’s career and he did not disappoint. Tearing up the Falcons defense until he reached midfield. Brady then fired a pass over the middle intended for Edelman, which was tipped by a Falcons defender and remained up in the air. A real time play, which seemed to go in slow motion showed two Falcons diving for the football that could save their season. Who came down with it you ask? The 7th round quarterback out of Kent State. Julian Edelman somehow adjusted position and dove for the loose ball, catching it inches before it hit the ground, while also taking it away from the Falcons defensive back. Comparable to the catches which killed the Patriots before, this finally seemed to be the catch that made up for it all. Finally a miraculous catch went the way of the Patriots. The Patriots were far from done. They once again stormed down the field and got the ball to the two yard line before the unlikely bruiser James White pounded it into the end zone. 28-26 with a minute left and still needing a two-point conversion, Patriots fans now were reminisced of a different, much more recent play which led them to defeat. Just over a year ago, it was Stephen Gostowski’s missed extra point which forced the Patriots into a late game two point conversion situation. A year ago, they failed against the Broncos and it cost them an appearance to the Super Bowl. The Patriots were not going to let another chance slip away. Brady got off a quick snap and threw a screen to Danny Amendola who fought his way across the goal line. Tie game, 50 seconds to play. With no timeouts remaining, the Falcons stood no chance in scoring before the end of regulation.

For the first time in Super Bowl History, the game was headed to overtime. However, fans did not get to watch the extra quarter for very long. New England won the toss, elected to receive and never looked back. Brady led a final drive down the field with ease. Big gains to Julian Edelman and Chris Hogan headlined a drive which led the Patriots to another similar scenario. At the two yard line, with the game on the line. However, this time the Patriots were in the offensive side of the ball. Two yards away from a fifth Super Bowl, Belichick did not try to force a throw to give his star quarterback the glory. That’s not the Patriot way. The Patriot was putting the team first, with everyone doing their job. So in this case, the Patriot way was giving the ball to your pass catching, 190 pound running back on a sweep and let him plow through defenders for a game winning touchdown. James White, from the two yard line managed to score his third touchdown of the day, and gave the Patriots their fifth Super Bowl victory in franchise history. Final score 34-28.

The Confetti began to rain red, white and blue as former Patriot Great Willie McGinest walked down the line holding the Lombardi Trophy. The Nation watched as Roger Goodell was forced the hand over the Lombardi to Robert Kraft. Funny how things change, as just over a year ago Goodell was handing the Patriots the worst punishment ever given to an NFL team by a commissioner. A loss of one million dollars, a first and fourth round draft pick and the four game suspension of Tom Brady, made this celebration even sweeter. This was the Patriot's final stand against the commissioner, and there was no other way they could have gotten back other than a Super Bowl Championship. Coming back from 25 points down just seemed like a bonus.

There is no question anymore, as if there really was before this game. Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback to have ever played the game, and Bill Belichick is the greatest coach to ever coach the game. Five rings and the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history, led by the greatest performance in Super Bowl history leaves no doubt. The game many witnessed last night will go down as the greatest sports event ever to be played.