16 Things That Make Every Swimmer Go 'Ugh'

When swimmers just literally cannot anymore.

443
Swimmer taking her mark.

When parents need to get their kids out of the house for the summer a lot of parents turn to recreational sports, and what better sport than swimming to keep them out of the house all summer? Swimming goes all summer long, there's morning practice, afternoon practice, and swim meets. Even though most kids can swim they are not competitive, just because you can doggy paddle doesn't mean you're a competitive swimmer.

Competitive swimmers have their own way of doing things, for example all swimmers have a love/hate relationship with swimming, they hate their strokes, they are either long distance or short distance (there is no in between). Yes, swimmers love their sport, but here's a list of what every swimmer hates.

1. When people touch your feet.

Either get in front or kick off when you're supposed to. Don't continuously touch our feet and claim you don't want to get in front.

2. Raccoon Eyes

Google

The permanent, deep lines left behind by your goggles that won't go away till swim is over. Not to mention, the tan line they leave behind.

3. When non swimmers want to race.

No, I don't want to race. Leave me alone.

4. Cannot swim for fun, no matter how hard you try.

Google

No matter how hard a swimmer tries, there is no fun in swim. If you're in the pool you're doing pulldowns, starts, or turns. How do you even play swim?

5. Land Practice.

c1.staticflickr.com

Swimmers will swim all day, but running is not an option.

6. Breaststroke is the one that looks like a frog, right?

Yes, yes it is.

7. Weird swimsuit tan lines.

Google

It ruins trying to wear a different type of suit.

8. Butterfly

Butterfly is a hard stroke to swim. It's impossible to swim it slowly, and if you can swim it at all you're stuck swimming for the rest of your swim career.

9. When people say, "Swimming is easy."

Google

Please join swim team and swim a practice. Swimming is a sport of endurance, you have to push yourself to the absolute limit to get the result you want. This isn't some sport that you can show up to, do the bare minimum and get praise. It takes years to master a stroke, not a couple of practices.

10. Two words: crappy goggles.

Google

Goggles that won't stay tightened or fog every time you take them off/put them on. Goggles that fill up with water as soon as you get in the pool. Do not buy any type of goggles from Walmart or any store that is not an actual swim store for competitive swimmers! Just don't.

11. Adding time when you thought you would drop time.

Swimmers are the only people who know the true value of dropping seconds. Dropping seconds, even milliseconds, is so satisfying, but when you add time you just want to kick yourself.

12. People who sprint warm ups/cool downs.

This isn't the Olympics. Slow down.

13. When there is a million heats of 8 and under anything.

You don't need that many.

14. When you misjudge a flip turn.

Google

You either scrape your back or miss the wall completely, and it is absolutely soul-crushing. Especially, for the older kids cause then you sit there like, "How long have I been doing this?"

15. Cold/Hot Pools

No one wants to freeze their butts off, and they definitely don't want to feel like they're swimming in bath water.

16. Practice in general.

Whether it be pouring, sunshine, cold or hot no one really wants to practice. It could be a hard set with drills, underwaters, snakes, fins, ladders or an easy practice. People will still complain about practice. It's simply the fact of having to get out of bed to go to practice in the early hours of the morning and making a physical effort.