Benefits of Taking Early Morning Classes

Waking up at an aggressive hour, that's adulting... right?

4557
Panoramio

I remember being a freshman like it was yesterday (kinda was but whatever). Waking up at an aggressive hour of the morning for classes after long nights of going out with friends or late night study sessions was and still is really annoying and I almost 100% of the time sport the same look walking into my 8 or 9 AM classes (every t-shirt I own is a large and my Birks are my best friends, *surprising*).

Taking an early morning class may sound dreadful, but it comes with more pro's than con's than you might think (seriously).

1. You don't have to spend hours looking for a parking spot on campus.

People used to tell me that taking an 8 AM was a "rookie mistake" but the jokes on you, friend. While you spend two hours trying to find a spot at a garage that is a twenty minute walk from your class at 12:30 on Market Wednesday, I've been parked since this morning on the second floor next to the stairs, a hop skip and a jump from both of my classrooms.

2. You can be done with classes for the day before noon.

I personally love this because it allows me to spend the rest of my day doing whatever I want; hangout at my sorority house, clean my apartment, order a pizza, get a job. Speaking of jobs, it allows for more availability through out the week (which alleviates any worry about asking Saturday's off for game days).

3. You will score better on tests.

Texas university conducted a study (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/early-birds-get-better-grades-09-06-2008/)that found that students who woke up earlier and studied/went to class at an earlier time, had higher test scores then students who slept in more often. There you have it, if you want good grades, take early classes. Or just go to class, I hear that works too.

4. Waking up earlier increases productivity.

I have two classes every day Monday thru Friday starting at either 8 or 9 AM. In between my two classes I have about two hours so I usually go straight to the library to get any and all homework I may have done and out of the way for the week because I know I'll wait until the last minute if I don't just get it done. And if I have a test I'll use this time to go over everything to refresh before the exam. There are less distractions in the morning and I feel like I got a lot done by the end of the day.

5. Taking 8 or 9 AM classes prepares you for adulthood.

It may not sound appealing for the not-so-morning person, but after college (or during your internships in college) you're going have to have to wake up early to be a regular working adult (unless you have a night job, bless your heart, I don't know how you do it, go make that money). Taking early classes makes the transition from waking up for school to waking up for work a little easier.

(Bonus) Tip for not-so-morning people:

It's been proven that starting your morning with entertainment makes waking up easier. I wasn't allowed to have a TV in my room growing up, so you can only imagine the excitement I felt when I bought my own television for my room for college. Every morning growing up I would run downstairs after getting ready for school to watch the Today Show on NBC. Since I was little I always really enjoyed it and as I got older it became my way of getting my daily dose of pop culture and news. Because it was "a thing" at home, I religiously watch it every morning (Thanks, Matt Lauer).

Of course there are cons to waking up early for 8 and 9 AM's like not feeling good due to a "stomach bug you must've gotten at the bar last night." But this is college. Grow up. Learn how to rally AND go to class.