I Meditated Every Night For A Week And Here's What Happened

After incorporating meditation into my bedtime routine, I noticed a significant change in my overall well-being.

180
Tumblr

In the midst of final exams and a change of pace at work, I noticed myself picking up old habits. I was having trouble sleeping, my eating habits were out of sorts, and my positivity levels were low, which is out of character for me. I came across a Pinterest post about meditation, and after researching it further I decided to try it out for myself and experience the hype.

The goal of meditation is to push the limits of your mind in order to experience a natural state of peace, happiness, and bliss. The problem falls with the whole "pushing the limits of your mind" concept. I think a lot of people see meditation, and even yoga, as a kind of joke, or silly thing in which to invest time. I hope by the end of this article you are convinced otherwise.

In my research, I came across a multitude of articles that recommended downloading an app on your phone to ease the process, however, I felt more distracted than assisted when using an app.

At first, I only meditated for ten minutes before I went to bed. By the end of the week, I was meditating up to 25 minutes. I followed my normal bedtime routine: shower, brush my teeth, watch an episode of "Friends" or read part of a book, and of course do one final sweep through Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. After completing all my normal tasks, I would sit in my bed, turn on white noise, put my phone on do-not-disturb, and would just be in the moment.

I noticed a significant change in my sleeping habits. I noticed I wasn't tossing and turning as much, as I began to fall asleep faster than I ever have before. In the mornings, I woke up slightly easier (it's important to note that I am the worst at waking up, I'm talking setting alarms at least an hour before I actually have to wake up) and in a better mood, every time.

Meditation can legitimately change your body; it promotes the relaxation response, which in turn decreases stress, anxiety, muscle tension, and blood pressure. Meditation can also improve your heart rate, breathing, and metabolism.

I know you're probably thinking this is a bunch of hippie "mumbo-jumbo," because I did too at first, but I encourage you to try it, at least for a week! I have read several articles and blog posts by people who meditate multiple times a day; their results and experiences are incredible. If I am seeing such positive results after just one week, imagine what a lifetime practice of meditation can bring.