15 Things That People With Insomnia Will Understand

15 things I have learned about Insomnia in the 5 years that I have had it.

246
Parker Hill Church

Insomnia is something that a lot of people suffer from. It when someone has difficultly falling asleep or staying asleep at night. It can be the result of many things, such as coffee intake (caffeine), nightmares, etc. Here are 15 things people who have Insomnia will understand.

1. Being frustrated

Not being able to fall asleep is frustrating more so when you KNOW you are tired. Your body is telling you it needs to sleep and yet, you cannot fall asleep for the life of you

2. Not remembering if you slept the night before

I don't know if this is just me or not, but there are nights overall where I legit don't remember falling asleep, but I don't remember being awake either. So I have no idea if I slept or not. I am tired, but that isn't unusual since I am always tired.

3. Counting how many hours you can get before you have to be somewhere

Most people who have trouble falling asleep look at the clock and think, "I have to be here in 4 hours, now 3 hours." That is, until you are able to finally fall asleep and get at least a little bit of sleep.

4. Saying "I'm tired"

People think insomnia means you're not tired. But that is untrue. You are tired but just not sleepy. Your body, your mind, everything is tired and needs sleep, but you cannot fall asleep.

5. Catching up on sleep

You don't sleep enough, so trying to catch up on sleep is something you want to do but you cannot. Sometimes though, you do get a good night's rest, but those days are rare and hard to come by.

6. "Did you sleep well?"

One of the most dreaded questions: "Did you sleep well?" The answer you give depends on the person. For family, friends, and your therapist, you tell them the truth. For anyone else, the answer is always "yes."

7. Medication

Ah Melatonin and other sedatives have become your best friend. You use them every night to fall asleep. They have become a must in your household. If you don't have them, expect a night of little to no sleep at all.

8. Waking up after only a few hours of sleep

I mean, I go to bed at 9 pm and wake up by 3 am, and I'm unable to fall back asleep. It's like my body doesn't know what a full night's sleep is anymore

9. You are about to fall asleep and then you hear a noise

When you are close to falling asleep or you are comfortable, and you hear a noise that scares you. Now there is no HOPE of falling asleep.

10. Coffee becomes your best friend

Without coffee, you would be a zombie, but it can stop you from having a good night's rest. So here's to the cycle of no sleep.

11. You pretend to be asleep so people around you don't know you've been up all night

People love to try to give you tips and tricks on how to sleep better. They judge you and do so many other things to bother you, so it's easier to pretend you are asleep or that you slept so people don't lecture you about the importance of sleep, a lecture you have heard hundreds of times.

12. Your mind races

You mind decides that it wants to start racing with thoughts at night. You start thinking about stuff that is coming up, things that happened throughout the day, and basically everything. Falling asleep becomes hopeless.

13. Being dead tired is your calling card

If anyone has mastered the art of being dead tired, it's you. Its become such a norm that nobody is surprised to hear that you are tired or even more so dead tired.

14. Setting your alarm is a waste

Unless its early in the morning or I didn't fall asleep until 7 am, setting an alarm clock is pointless. I never am awaken by the alarm, as I am ALWAYS up before the alarm.

15. Making plans for the morning

I tell myself, I will go to the gym before work, or I will get gas before work, and I NEVER do. Waking up early is never an option for me since I probably only slept 3-5 hours.