'Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored' Is Right

'Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored' Is Everything Right With Today’s Dating Scene

If you're threatened by Ariana Grande's hit song, maybe you should reevaluate your relationship.

1831
https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-wearing-black-long-sleeve-shirt-2238182/

Recently, a writer for the Odyssey published an article elaborating her disdain for Ariana Grande's song, 'Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored.' The author of the article took her time to dissect why she believed that the song was "disgusting" and a menace to "today's dating scene." She even mentioned that a more fitting title for the song might be "Break Up with Your Boyfriend Because I'm a Whore." Real feminist of you, Megan Crabb.

There are so many conflicting factors at play here, so I wanted to float an alternate idea.

First of all, if your relationship with your boyfriend is threatened by a song, your relationship sucks. You shouldn't have to tell him to not get with other people -that should be a given. And if you're that insecure about him getting with other people, you shouldn't be in a relationship to begin with. Committing to growing with someone through a monogamous relationship is a voluntary choice, and not abiding by the expectations of your partner are grounds for being single -simple as that.

Second, can you blame Ariana Grande for wanting this guy to break up with his girlfriend so she can hook up with him? This guy's obviously a dime piece, and many people want a chance at him. At least she's asking that he break up with her instead of outright cheating on her. Don't you think it'd be much more disrespectful if she just took this girl's man without even waiting for them to be single? Frankly, she could probably just strut up to him and take him home, wordlessly, so maybe you should feel grateful she would respect you by at least asking him to break up with your sorry ass before she swooped in.

Crabb also mentioned that someone in a relationship is strictly "off limits." There is no such thing as someone being "off limits." The only person that can decide they are off limits is that person; that individual gets to choose every day how "off limits" they are. Other people that may be attracted to this individual get to try their hand at wooing them, and the individual can accept or decline. Oftentimes this is harmless: "Hey thanks, I'm flattered, but I'm in a relationship." If that individual continues to be approached by people that are cooler than the person they are in a relationship with, shouldn't they be allowed to opt out of their relationship? Most "relationships" these days are not real relationships; they act as placeholders because people don't want to be alone and they can't socially justify having more than one partner.

If my girl kept getting hit on by hot dudes, I'd be both flattered that: hey, my girl is hot and I should be aware that if I don't keep working on myself and constantly putting effort into this relationship, she will very easily leave me, as she should.

If Ariana Grande is asking you to break up with your man so she can hook up with him, you need to take a hard look at your life and realize you are winning, and getting insecure about her wanting to "hit it in the morning" is childish. If that's your man, and you think he's hot, don't you want to hit it in the morning too?

And lastly, ladies, let's stop with the slut shaming. Ariana Grande is not a "whore" because she wants to have sex with a hot dude, and neither are you.

Maybe instead of resorting to name calling you could take a step back and realize that if you had as much social power as Ariana Grande, wouldn't you want the cream of the crop, too?