An Open Letter to Anyone Who has Ever Doubted Me

Thank you

280

Thank you.

As someone who never gives up on my dreams, I can honestly say that all of you who have doubted me have just pushed me to work harder than ever. It was your doubts and worries that made me want to work that much harder to prove to you and myself that I could do it, that I am better than the doubts. To prove that I can truly do anything I set my mind to.

In realizing that those who doubt me have the greatest influence on my will to succeed, it has also become evident that the person who doubts me the most is myself. I am the one with the most to worry about when it comes to my own drive. I am the one who most often has thoughts that I can’t do it. In a way, I am my own biggest motivator because in doubting myself, I am pushing myself to overcome those doubts and prove myself wrong. Sometimes I wonder if other people doubt themselves as much as I do, but honestly, it doesn’t really matter. At the end of the day, I have to be able to deal with my own self-doubts. I don’t have to worry about how much or little the people around me doubt themselves.

At the end of the day, I can choose to let these doubts get to me and prevent me from getting to where I eventually want to be, or I can use them as a driving force behind everything I do, say, and want. You didn’t think I could graduate second in my class? Well, I did that. You don’t believe that I am capable of going away to school and being away from home? I’m doing it, and I’m thriving here at Siena. I just use their harsh words and worries, and I make them into plans to succeed. Not just to prove to them that I am ready for a challenge, but to show myself that I am a strong and driven young woman ready to make a difference.

Whether you doubted my college choice, or my career goals, or just me in general, just know that your doubts have contributed to my success and my desire to be even more successful. I want, with all of my heart, to enter the medical field to help people like medical professionals have helped my loved ones, and some people have tried to get me to stray from that dream because it’s “too difficult” and “requires so much time and dedication.” Well, to all of you who think I can’t do it, I’m here to prove to you that I can do it. And I will. So thank you again for you push towards the success I know that deep down I am destined for.