9 Things You Learn When You Live With 3 Guys For A Year

Some insight into my sophomore year.

468
Addie Armstrong

Growing up with brothers, I felt like I had my fair share of boys. When I moved into my dorm room freshman year, I was excited to make new girl friends! If you would have ever told me that I'd be living with three guys during my sophomore year of college, I would have probably laughed in your face. Well, here I am. And somehow, I survived. Here are a few things I learned:

1. The house often smells of cologne... or body wash... or deodorant... or anything else boys wear to smell good.

Just like the scent of flowers on a spring day, the scent of cologne in a smelly apartment is a God sent. With 3+ guys in their apartment on a daily basis, it was great. The aroma masks the disgusting-ness of everything going on in the apartment (dirty dishes, leaning tower of trash, sweaty clothes everywhere), and its always nice to come home to a fresh smelling apartment.

2. There's a lifetime supply of bacon in the fridge at all times.

At one point this year, there was an entire shelf in our fridge fully dedicated to bacon. On Sunday mornings, I would wake up to the heavenly smell and walk downstairs to find all of my sleepy headed roommates chowing down.

3. The trash can will look like Mt. Everest before one of their stubborn selves takes it out.

Take out containers piled high, water bottles squished into shapes you've never seen before, cardboard boxes set aside for fair play... you know what I'm talking about -- TRASH JENGA. The person who topples the mile high conundrum has to take it out. Disclaimer: it could actually take weeks for the game to end.

4. They try their very best to understand you.

I can be a little dramatic, and it's not a full day until I've been emotional at some point. Whether it was watching me Kim Kardashian ugly cry and not making fun of me, or taking me to Taco Bell to lighten my spirits after a bad day, they put their best foot forward to get me through my toughest times.

5. People always think you're dating one of them when everything is COMPLETELY platonic.

This might be the most annoying part of living with guys. Get a ride to class: "Oh, was that your boyfriend?" Walk into a party with them: "Yo is that her boyfriend?" Go out to eat in public together: "They're on a date!" Nope.

6. You ask each other for advice on what to wear.

What's better than having the opposite sex in your house to answer all the questions you could ever have? Um, probably nothing. Okay, I'm sure there is something-- but whether it's helping them pick out the most dapper button-down to impress the girl they're after, or getting advice on what to wear on my casual date, none of us have ever come up short.

7. You basically become one of the guys.

In my apartment, it was pretty much a guys world and I was just living in it. With people over all the time, and their friends becoming my friends, I was way outnumbered. But I can say for a fact that I learned a lot about hockey, a lot about girls, and a lot about the Dallas Cowboys' Cheerleaders.

8. You learn how to sleep through anything.

I've slept through the 2015-2016 Dallas Cowboys season (4-12 record), the Pittsburgh Penguins run at the Stanley Cup, nightly knee hockey tournaments, and blood-curdling screams at the tv over video game losses. 'Nough said.

9. They turn into the weird, same aged, annoying brothers you didn't really ask for (but ended up with anyway).

One time I got hit in the face with a plastic football and everyone laughed until they realized I wasn't a guy. Then, of course, apologies flooded my way – but still! They'll mess with me and I'll give it right back...and it's actually kinda perfect.