8 Ways To Relieve Stress And Relax

8 Ways To Relieve Stress And Relax

Don't forget to take some time to recover.

26
8 Ways To Relieve Stress And Relax
Feel Better Birmingham

It’s easy to get caught up in the many responsibilities and duties of life to the point where we feel like we’re suffocating under pressure and stress. Deadlines and overlapping routines can act as shackles on our mind and our body, and it’s important to take time to allow ourselves to recover. Here are some ways to relieve stress and relax so that you’re better prepared to take life by the horns.

1. Breathe.

It may sound redundant, but deep breaths provide immediate relief when you feel the stress and anxiety taking over. Breathe slowly in through your nose and let it out slowly out through your mouth, and repeat until you feel yourself calming down.

2. Exercise.

Something as simple as doing some crunches in your living room to going on a jog around your neighborhood will definitely get your blood flowing and help you feel better. Exercising taps into reward systems in your brain because it releases endorphins, which make you feel good and can even act as natural painkillers. Don’t forget to drink lots of water and maybe even take your workout playlist with you so that it’s not all work but play too!

3. Go see a movie at the theater.

One of my personal favorite activities, I love going to the theater to see a new movie. There’s something incredibly rewarding about buying yourself a ticket to a great flick, some snacks and a soda--it’s two and a half hours of guaranteed enjoyment! Take your mind of off the things bothering you right now and go focus on Harley Quinn beating up bad guys with a bat in “Suicide Squad” instead.

4. Read in a quiet room with natural lighting.

Grab a good book and find a comfy chair to read for an hour or so. You’ll feel much more refreshed and relaxed if you do so in a place where the sun provides the lighting for your quiet time. The sun’s vitamin-D-rich rays will warm your skin and make you feel rejuvenated better than a desk lamp or ceiling fan will.

5. Cuddle up with your favorite blanket and watch a movie on Netflix.

Take a break from the show you’re bingeing and check out what else Netflix has to offer instead--it feels so good when you’re genre surfing and you find a movie that you loved when you were kid. Go back to a simpler time with “Scooby Doo: The Movie” or “Lemonade Mouth” and let yourself unwind.

6. Drink some hot tea.

Mint or chamomile tea is great for relieving stress. Get yourself a hot cup and drink it slowly--feel as the warm liquid moves through your chest and warms your whole body.

7. Game on with your favorite video game.

Video games are the world’s favorite distraction. When playing a video game, it’s hard to focus on little else other than what’s happening on the screen in front of you. Put on your favorite game and let yourself travel to a different state of mind for a little bit--but don’t stay in the virtual world for too long!

8. Listen to your favorite songs with both earbuds in.

Not just one earbud, but both! There’s no remedy for stress like letting music flow through both ears. Make a playlist of some really soft, calm songs, or just throw together some of your favorite jams and let the groove take over!

We get so caught up in our lives and everything we have to do that we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves. Don’t forget to stop and set aside time to relax and recuperate, because we all need that time -- whether we like to admit it or not!