7 Things We Will All Remember From The 2016 Rio Olympics

Stories of kindness, greatness, scandals, and even a green pool.

12
libguides.whitworth.edu/rio2016

The Olympics is the one time every two years where the whole world gets together to spectate the most prestigious sporting event of all time. When the Olympics happen so do some extraordinary events, whether it's acts of greatness, courage or selflessness, or even some not so proud moments. The Olympics unites us all and gives us something to talk about.

1. The Green Diving Pools.

It was talked about all over social media. No one could figure out why the most prestigious sporting event in the world had their pools turn green. Some even laughed at the irony of it all. Many viewers thought it was because of an outbreak of algae, but after many chemical tests, the people who take care of the Olympic pools soon realized that Algae alone wasn't the complete problem. Someone made a mistake and dumped 160 litters of hydrogen peroxide into them. Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical known for neutralizing the effects of chlorine allowing algae and other microorganisms to grow. After treating the pools with the proper chemicals the water polo pool turned back to it's normal blue but the diving pool had to be dumped and refilled with water from the practice pool.

2. Michael Phelps's 23rd gold medal win.

Michael Phelps winning more gold medals was something that was both expected and unexpected by fans and the media. Although he is the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time you never know what really will happen in the Olympics. Luckily Phelps, as usual, raised the bar winning a total of 5 gold metals and even a silver in Rio. Every medal he added to his collection this time around rewrote history by having him surpass his own record as the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time. Every medal he won in the past 2 weeks made headline news, but his 23rd was special. In the last race he was in, the mens 4X100 Medley relay he and his team pulled far ahead winning gold, making it the perfect ending to his Olympic career. When interviewed he even said, "Where I am now is exactly how I want to finish"

3. The Ryan Lochte Scandal

Although the Olympics are filled with many proud moments there are some that aren't as proud for team USA and the Ryan Lochte Scandal is one of them. Not only did the US swimmer and 12- time Olympic gold medalist and his teammates vandalize a gas station bathroom after too much partying, he lied to the world saying that they were robbed at gunpoint in Rio when they in fact weren't. The true story is that they were confronted by security guards at the gas station with weapons being told to pay for all the damages before they could go. Rio police deny Locate's story about being robbed at gunpoint after looking at security footage because details didn't match up, they also deny that excessive force was used. In an interview with Matt Lauer, Lochte stated that "he exaggerated the story" He still says he was robbed at gunpoint, but the gun wasn't pointed at his head just in his general direction. This whole incident trapped his fellow teammates in Rio for several more days and made the United States as a country look really bad. Our athletes are supposed to represent us. In the end Lochte lost all of his endorsement deals.

4. A former Olympic Gold medalist quitting the race for the well being of her horse

The Ryan Lochte scandal may have you doubting humanity, but this next Olympic athlete will have you believing in it once more. Equestrian rider Adelinde Corrnelissen winner of an Olympic silver and a bronze as well as many European gold metals, dropped out of her Olympic race for the well being of her horse. A few days before her race, she noticed that her horse, Percival was feeling off. When she checked its temperature, Adelinde found out that her horse had a fever. After checking with 2 different vets it was confirmed that the horse was bitten by a toxic bug or animal and had to be put on several fluids to shove out the toxins. 2 days before the race her horse was feeling better even enough to race but Adelinde felt that her horse didn't need to go through the Olympics so quickly after being sick. She and horse dropped out of the race and turned around. Adelinde stated that her horse would have definitely pushed through for her but she thought she would for once do him a favor. "He has given me everything" She stated. "This is the least I can do."

5. Simone Bile's 4 Gold Medal Wins

It was the most medals ever won by an American female Olympic athlete. Gymnast Simone Biles, won 4 gold metals in Rio, making her the Most Decorated US Female Gymnast of all time. Biles has gotten awarded many honors in the past few weeks and one of them was getting to hold the American flag in the closing ceremony for the olympics. Many people have said things like that she is the next Michael Phelps. Simone to this comment says "I'm not the next Michael Phelps, but the first Simone Biles." Simone even got one surprise in Rio and that was a visit from her celebrity crush, Zac Efron. Biles says that she is looking forward to being normal teenager aagin when she heads back to the United States. One thing she wants to do however is go cliff diving.

6. 2 Olympic Swimmers Defying their illness's to win Gold and Silver

Olympic swimmer and Gold and silver Medalist in Rio, Cathleen Baker, has gone through many challenges to make it to were she is, and one of them even baffles doctors. On NBC news she told her story. At the age of 11 she thought she would never be able to swim competitively again after dropping almost 20 lbs unexpectedly and suffering many severe stomach cramps. After many doctor's visits it was confirmed the she had a Chronic and severe digestive illness known as Crohn's disease. "That for me was one of the worst days of my life" she stated "knowing that it's something that can never go away." It's hard for most people with the illness to lead active lives because it causes inflammation and damage in the digestive tract, making it difficult for the body to absorb the nutrients it needs to stay active. Although it can't be cured, treatment can definitely help and Kathleen has definitely found a regimen that works for her. She led the start of the Women's 4X100 medley relay keeping in first when handing the race off to her teammates. in the end she contributed to the United States wining it's historic 1000th gold metal. Her advice is to "Never give up on your dreams and always surround yourself with people who believe in you." On top of this another Olympic swimmer with a similar illness, Siobhan -Marie O'connor, from the UK won a silver l medal. She suffers from Ulcerative Colitis.

7. A women stopping in the middle of her race in order to help another one that fell

Track for many of us seems like more of an individual sport more than a team sport. it's every man and women for themselves it seems like, but for this one runner from New Zeland Nikki Hamblin and another from the United states, Abby Di'Astinigo it's not the case. Both women won an award for sportsmanship for their acts of selflessness. The women tripped over one another in the begging of the race. Nikki helped Abby up after they both fell since she was on top first and they both continued. Later in the race Abby fell again due to the first fall causing her to twist her ankle. Instead, she just continued and finished the race by herself. Nikki helps Abby up once more and the 2 finish the race together.