7 Key Issues To Be Aware Of For This Coming Election
Politics

Instead of our candidate's personalities, what about their policies?

14
American Flag

As Election Day 2016 looms closer, we find ourselves caught in the midst of a cataclysmic election. The unconventional patterns of this campaign season have left many people wondering how to decide on a candidate when both sides are seen as being largely unpopular, yet voting for a third party candidate would do nothing but weaken the candidate who is more ideologically similar to them. But despite the tumultuous campaigns of both parties, we still have a way to determine which candidate we favor more; looking to policy. Voting based on the personalities or candor of each candidate can only produce so many results, as there are many pieces of legislation and regulations surrounding the President that their character becomes diluted once theyā€™re in office. However, their stance on policy is what has the ability to impact us as individual constituents. Being well educated on key issues can make this seemingly impossible decision a bit more manageable, and can produce better results as a whole for our country. What are your opinions on these major debate points for this coming election?

1. The American Criminal Justice System

In recent years, Americaā€™s incarceration rates have been highest in the world. Both candidates have solutions to reform the criminal justice system so that we can create a society in which minimal offenses are dealt with accordingly, and people are given the opportunities to become more constructive to society.

2. Immigration

The current system in place for moving to America is an incredibly long, arduous, complex, and expensive task. Most people are unable to do so without the assistance of a lawyer in order to ensure proper completion of all forms. People who are moving to this country need a more responsive system in place to help them relocate to the United States.

3. National Security

With the emergence of ISIS, other terrorist organizations and individuals with ill intentions who reside within our communities, it is imperative that the President make the security of US citizens a priority. Implementing new legislation and working with foreign allies can help us to broaden our security and catch attacks before they can be executed.

4. Equality

The past few years, we have seen incredible change in terms of both societal acceptance and legislative amendments for the LGBTQ+ community. People have started to recognize the wage gap between male and female coworkers. People are urged to provide equal treatment for all individuals, and this progress should be maintained.

5. Sexual Assault Response

Brock Turner is one of countless cases of perpetrators of sexual assault who did not get a suitable sentence for his actions. Responses to sexual assault need to be improved and victims deserve a society in which they are accepted and supported. Each party has offered their opinions and potential methods of updating the culture around sexual harassment and assault.

6. Supreme Court Appointment

With the passing of Justice Antonin Scalia, our Supreme Court has been operating with 8 Justices due to the Senateā€™s rejection of the Presidentā€™s appointee Merrick Garland. It seems likely that the next president will be the one to appoint Mr. Scaliaā€™s replacement, as well as a few others over the course of the next four years. What would this mean? The new POTUS could have the power to sway the court ideologically. Although Justices are meant to be apolitical, it is almost impossible to separate an individual from their inherent convictions, and that is a fact that Presidents are well aware of when they choose a justice who is going to serve for the rest of their life.

7. Environment and Energy Sustainability

Through diplomacy and cooperation with other nations, we can further our developments in technology that will help to reduce our carbon footprint and sustain our environment for future generations. There are proposed policies that can make it easier to finance projects, as well as policies that put more restrictions on undesirable practices. There are many aspects to this, including agricultural practices, energy creation, carbon emission reduction, and many more.