My 7 Favorite Off-Campus Spots Around Messiah College

What's yours?

36
Katy Trice

Well with the beginning of a new Messiah College school year comes new adventures and that urge to get off campus when things get too crazy. So below is my list of my go-to local places around Messiah College, and I save what I think is the best for last.

7. Bakers

A Messiah College staple, Bakers is our local 24-hour diner. Any time you go.. you are bound to see someone that you know. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, burgers, and fried things galor. If you get sick of Lottie you need to get some Bakers, and it is only 15 minutes away.

6. Ski Roundtop

Now I have only been skiing once so it might be presumptuous to put Ski Roundtop on my list, but there is more than just skiing there. In the winter you can snowboard, ski, or snow tube. Tubing is about $20 or less, and skiing on college night (Wednesday night) will only cost you $42 for rentals and a pass. They know this college girl is on a budget but still wants to have fun. In the spring and summer they have adventure and high rope courses, too.

5. Twin Ponds West

I love love love ice skating. Mostly because I grew up with ice skating every weekend. If you are like me you can’t wait to get on the ice again, and Twin Ponds West is the closest rink to Messiah. They have a sister “pond” across the river too.

4. Yellow Bird Cafe

Yellow Bird is in midtown Harrisburg. It is about 20 minutes away, and it is right down the street from Midtown Scholar…which rocks! Yellow Bird has a breakfast and lunch menu, and all the pastries you could ever want. My personal favorite are the Nutella filled pop-tarts.

3. Midtown Scholar

As an English major I am always buying novels, and Midtown has become my favorite place to do my college “textbook” shopping because my textbooks are novels. The past two summers I have gone there with a list of my fall novels and walked out with $50 worth of books for $20. They have coffee and pastries too if you didn’t get enough at Yellow Bird.

2. Maggie’s Italian Ice and Frozen Custard

About 5 minutes from campus Maggie’s is a wonderful sweet treat place. They are a walk up and drive through location with a local charm. Whenever I go I see Moms and Dads drive up there with their kids or teams in their jerseys. My favorite time to go is at the end of Spring semester when the days are getting longer and you can feel the sun on your back while you are eating your frozen custard.

1. The Frosty Llama

What is the Frosty Llama you might ask? Well, it is the best froyo place around, and it is about 8 minutes from campus. They have flavor like Pumpkin Spice in the fall, and you can mix all the flavors you’d like. Then top your froyo with any fruit, candy, chocolate, or cookie until your heart is content. You pay by weight so watch how many things you actually put on. Froyo isn’t the only thing you can get… you can go there for breakfast and get donuts and coffee, too. But they close up shop every January for the month, so try to go there before January!