6 Myths About Volleyball

6 Myths About Volleyball

It's not as easy as it looks, guys

2192
6 Myths About Volleyball

Last night I attended the second round of the NCAA Division I Volleyball tournament at Chrisler Arena and watched and cheered as the Michigan Wolverines defeated the Oregon Ducks 3 sets to 1. As a volleyball player throughout high school, watching Michigan and Oregon made me miss my own volleyball days. My mom and I were talking about the strategy of both teams and the performances of the players, and I overheard other fans doing the same. I was concerned about some of the things they were saying though, which reminded me of the many myths surrounding volleyball and players; here are 6 myths about volleyball and explanations as to why they aren't true.

Myth #1: Only women can play volleyball

While volleyball (in the United States, at least) is women-dominated, men still play. This myth ultimately emerges from the fact that at high school and college levels, there are only female teams. But especially around the world, volleyball is more male-dominated than female. If you want to see men play, watch the summer Olympics!

Myth #2: You have to be tall to play volleyball

While being tall will never be a bad thing in volleyball, it is definitely not a requirement. I mean, I'm 5'1", and I played all through high school! Gina Guide, a defensive specialist from 2003-2006 for Northern Illinois University, played NCAA Division I volleyball at a whopping 4'10"! The point is, anyone can play. Having a large vertical helps, as well as the increasingly important libero positions. The libero (the player with a different color jersey on) plays strictly back row and has shed light on the need for specialized defensive players in addition to hitters and setters. If you love the sport, don't let your height stop you from playing.

Myth #3: It's really easy to bump/set/spike the ball

First off, please do not refer to passing or digging as "bumping" or attacking as "spiking." They may be technically correct, but those two terms fail to capture the complexity of each movement. On defense, a player does not just let the ball hit her arms (that's a shank, normally), but determines where the ball is coming from and the speed of the ball and strategically passes it to the setter. On offense, a player does not just hit the ball, but goes through a hitting routine and places the ball where she wants it to go.

Second off, it's not as easy as it looks. As I mentioned, there is skill and coordination involved in every aspect, and there are penalties called for incorrect contacts (like lift, push, double hit). Sure, anyone can grab a volleyball and go play at the park, but playing in an organized, competitive league requires skill and lots of practice.

The great thing about volleyball though is how easy it is to get started, so grab a ball and go play!

Myth #4: It's a really simple game, there are no plays or strategy

*Sigh* While it may look like players are just running around, each player has a specific position and a specific job to do. There are more than just front row and back row players, and there are more than just passers, setters and hitters. A lot of the time, when a team gets a side-out point, it is because one player is not in her position, whether she misses her block, does not cover the hitter, or sets up in the wrong spot for an oncoming attack. There is also strategy in rotations and substitutions. Many coaches want their best hitter or blocker against the other team's best hitter or blocker to have a better chance of shutting down their star player. There are also offensive plays and defensive strategies that may not be obvious to someone who does not know the rules of the game.

Myth #5: It's always good to hit/serve the ball hard

This is probably the most annoying one for me. No matter how exciting it is when a hitter spikes the ball straight down, or nearly knocks a defender over with the strength of the attack, hitting the ball hard does not always mean points. In fact, hitting the ball as hard as you can often means the ball will soar out of bounds, giving the point to the other team. Even amazing hitters have to have a perfect set and approach in order to slam the ball. This is where strategy comes into play; rolling the ball, tipping the ball, and placing the ball are all very important parts of a hitter's tool belt. If a hitter just hits the shit out of the ball every time, she will be blocked or the defenders will know exactly where to go to dig the ball. On the same note, serving the ball hard is not always the best; in my opinion, float serves are the most difficult serves to return, and to spectators, those are the slow, lofty serves, but they have no spin, which means they move in the air and are difficult to judge. Switching up attack tactics and knowing when to employ which is vital to any great hitter.

Myth #6: It's good to fall and dive on the ground

As a back row player, I cannot express how many times I have been reprimanded by coaches for falling on the ground while passing. "Move your feet!" was a phrase I heard nearly every day. While it may look impressive to dive everywhere and fall for the ball constantly, it's actually a player being lazy. Taking one step forward, or one step to the side, or just moving rather than falling on the ground, increases your ability to pass the ball. Obviously, sometimes the ball is coming too fast to be able to move to get under it, in which case diving is necessary, but a majority of the time, the ball is within moving reach.