5 Ways to Improve Present Awareness with Meditation

4

As the name implies, silent meditation entails turning off all external noises, including music or the guidance of a teacher, and cultivating an awareness of your body in the present moment.

Vipassana is one of several approaches to silent meditation. This approach gets its name from a Buddhist term that means seeing things as they truly are. This practice involves sitting in silence and examining your thoughts and feelings without judgement.

Here's what you need to know about the benefits of silent meditation and some pointers on how to do it.

Comparison of Silent Meditation with Other Meditation Types

Meditation does not always necessitate silence. It could include mantras for guided instruction that can help you stay focused and grounded in the present moment, music, or nature sounds.

Many people, in fact, prefer guided meditations. In this method of meditation, a teacher guides you through each step of the process. Guided meditation can be especially beneficial for new meditators as they become acquainted with the practice.

There are no songs to fall into, no representative to tell you what to think about, and no sound noise to zone you out in silent meditation. The most significant distinction between silent meditation and other types is that you must take responsibility for where your thoughts lead. The power of silent meditation lies in realizing that you have control over your perception — that you are the one driving the experience.

The Benefits of Silent Meditation

The rewards of meditation have been extensively researched. Meditation, in accordance with a 2017 comprehensive research, can help with the following;

• Lower anxiety
  • Reduces depression
  • Manage stress
  • Increase empathy
  • Helps to focus
  • Boost attention
  • Improve sleep
  • Mood enhancement
  • Improvement in energy levels
  • Better quality of sleep
  • Greater clarity in relationship management
  • Increase in awareness

Silent meditation can also reduce your fight-or-flight answer and promote relaxation in its place. As a result, this practice may help you stay calm in stressful situations or when confronted using something you perceive as a threat. Instead of remaining concerned and worried, which can flood your system with possibly harmful brain chemicals, you learn to rest and repair.

10 Ways to Meditate in Silence

Silent meditation can be practiced without the assistance of a professional. In fact, silent meditation is completely under your control; you can do it for as long as you want and whenever you want. Let's take a look at a silent meditation technique you can use while practicing silent meditation;

• Before you begin your silent meditation practice, find the quietest area of your home and sit comfortably (either on the floor or in a chair).
  • Once you are all settled, set a time limit for your silent meditation practice. Set a soothing alarm to notify you when the time is up.
  • Now, close your eyes, relax, and remain silent.
  • Now that you're calm choose a focal point. For example, if you concentrate on your breathing, note how the air enters your body and where it travels. You can also experiment with various breathing techniques.
  • You can now move on to other things after concentrating on the first. For example, after focusing on your breathing, you can shift your attention to your body or senses, such as how your skin feels.
  • Slowly concentrate on each part of your body, beginning with the head and working your way down. Activate all of your senses and feel the stillness within you.
  • After focusing on yourself, it's time to pay attention to what's happening around you. What is the room's temperature, what kind of smell is there, and can you hear or feel anything outside?
  • After you've focused on your body and the outside world, it's time to turn your attention to your thoughts, feelings, and emotions. Remember not to judge yourself while concentrating on your emotions.
  • You're almost done with your silent meditation by this point. Remember that it's okay to be distracted during your meditation; simply bring your attention back to your focus when you find yourself drifting away.
  • You can gradually return from that trans-state and resume your work once you've focused on all the right things.

Some Challenges to Keep in Mind

Although silent meditation has numerous advantages, there are a few things you should know about it before beginning. Silent meditation is not appropriate for people who are new to meditation. If you're new to meditation, I'd recommend starting with a guided Transcendental meditation before moving on to unguided meditation.

Another potential disadvantage of silent mediation is that it can take a long time to see any positive results. To finally see results, you will need to practice silent mediation for at least 2 - 3 months. So, if you want something quick, you might need more than silent meditation.

The Final Words

I hope that you discovered this blog on silent meditation useful, interesting, and educational. Please share this blog with your relatives and close friends so that they can also practice silent meditation techniques because the advantages of silent meditation cannot be overstated.