5 Local Westchester Businesses You Should Support (If You Can)

As a Westchester native, I have been very passionate about supporting local businesses during this chaotic time. Here are 5 local businesses that I hope you go support, if you're able to! I've chosen one for every meal of the day!

67

Here are 5 local Westchester businesses you should support if you can!

1. Coffee! - Slave to The Grind Coffee Shop

catherine o'connor

Slave to The Grind Coffee shop has been a favorite of mine for years. Located in the heart of Bronxville town, they offer various coffee flavors (my favorite is hazelnut iced coffee), baked goods and teas! They've been delivering recently too, so if you're not able to stop by or live far away - they may be able to deliver to you!

Follow their Instagram for daily updates on their hours and announcements!

2. Breakfast! - Bagel Power

catherine o'connor

One of my favorite places in Westchester for bagels is conveniently very close to my house! The Golden Horseshoe shopping center is home to Bagel Power - a small business that is known for - bagels! My favorite bagel that they make is their blueberry bagel - it makes me feel better about eating a bagel and it is delicious! I'm pretty sure they are cash only - so remember that if you stop by!

3. Lunch - Playa Bowls

catherine o'connor

My absolute favorite invention ever is acai bowls and I was fortunate enough to have my very first one in none-other than Hawaii, a tropical paradise. Needless to say, when I came back home to New York I was over the moon when I found out that there was a location near me, called Playa Bowls, where I could get the absolutely wonderful treat.

Playa Bowls originated in New Jersey and there is a location in both Bronxville and Pleasantville in Westchester! My favorites are the Pura Vida acai bowl and the nutella acai bowl, but they have so many different options to choose from!

Recently, Playa bowls has been available on Door Dash and I may or may not be abusing the system on that!

4. Dinner - El Barrio (Previously Known As 808 Social) 

catherine o'connor

One of my absolute favorite places to go to dinner with my friends was 808 Social in Scarsdale. Who wouldn't want to be fed pizza and be told that they're pretty?! The aesthetic was always so welcoming and the food to die for! Unfortunately, 808 Social closed down, BUT they've recently rebranded as El Barrio, offering unique Mexican food as well as a few 808 Social classics like the social burger and margherita pizza - so don't worry, you can still be fed pizza (and unique Mexican dishes) and be told that you're pretty!

They've had to postpone their reopening because of everything happening, but they will be available for delivery and takeout soon! Mexican food is one of my top favorite cuisines and El Barrio offers Mexican with an Italian Twist, as server and friend of mine Anthony Mondrone puts it!

Something unique about El Barrio is that they will be serving open face brick oven quesadillas - something that no other Mexican restaurant in Westchester offers! If you're able to, definitely check them out and show them some love!

5. Dessert - Martine's Fine Bake Shop

Martine's Fine Bake Shoppe

www.martinesfinebakeshoppe.com

Martine's bakery has locations in both Tuckahoe and Scarsdale and has all kinds of wonderful baked goods. My favorites are the macaroons and chocolate babka!

If you're a fan of Seinfeld, Jerry himself recently visited Martine's in Scarsdale! I always feel just that more excited walking in the doors now, knowing he visited!

They are currently offering free local delivery, so if you're craving something sweet I definitely recommend giving them a call!

Support Small When You Can

During this chaotic time I have tried to be very conscientious of supporting not only ethical brands, but small local businesses as well. They need our support now more than ever! However I'm able to help, I make sure to do so and I hope you can too!