35 Songs That Were On Your iPod In Middle School

Music has the ability to transport us back in time.

1. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas

When this comes on, you know that, like the song says, "tonight's gonna be a good night"!

2. Love Story - Taylor Swift

Every girl wanted this to be their life, and would envision ourselves running through a field towards a prince with a white horse. Tell me I'm wrong.

3. Right Round - Flo Rida

This song, like a lot of popular songs from middle school, was clearly about something other than what we thought it was, and we had no idea, as we danced and sang along.

4. Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas

Black Eyed Peas songs never failed to get everybody in earshot hyped. This hard beat and the techno effects had 12 year old me losing my mind and dancing like crazy!

5. Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) - Beyoncé

This song was such a hit that now everybody on the face of the planet knows the dance from the music video! Girls automatically threw down when this came on at middle school dances.

6. Gives You Hell - The All-American Rejects

Did many of us have an ex in middle school? No. Did we all sing our hearts out to this as if we did? Absolutely.

7. Kiss Me Thru The Phone - Soulja Boy

Again, most of us weren't dating but we jammed to this as if we did. For those of us who were single (me), then we just imagined our crush kissing us thru the phone.

8. Hot N Cold - Katy Perry

Ah yes, a song that finally talked about how fickle guys are. Constantly indecisive and can never tell what they want. A relationship or a hookup? It's the first one day and the latter an hour later. It's honestly exhausting, right ladies?

9. Party In The U.S.A. - Miley Cyrus

This song made every kid want to come to Los Angeles and become famous, am I right?

10. Whatcha Say - Jason Derulo

Why did Jason Derulo rule our childhood playlists? He had way more hits than I remembered!

11. Viva La Vida - Coldplay

No one really knew the right words to this song, but we all just mumbled along and tried to sound as close to the song as possible.

12. Fireflies - Owl City

If you listen to the lyrics of this song, it's honestly SO weird! Also, what happened to Owl City after this song came out?

13. You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift

Just like every other Taylor Swift song, every girl watched, sang, and danced along with the music video, hoping a cute boy would move in next door and would fall in love with us once we let our hair down and took off our glasses.

14. TiK ToK - Kesha

Did anyone else's mom not like the line "brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack"? Mine made me sing it "with a bottle of water" because she didn't want me singing about how I was clubbing and drinking at 12 years old.

15. Hey, Soul Sister - Train

*cue the air-ukulele playing while you sing your heart out to this song*

16. California Gurls - Katy Perry

I was never more proud to be a "California Gurl" than when this song came out. My west-coast pride is undeniable. #westcoastrepresent

17. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga

This song made us fall in love with Lady Gaga in all of her funky, quirky, and sometimes just plain weird personality back in the late 2000s-early 2010s. You remember the meat dress, right?

18. Dynamite - Taio Cruz

"We gon' go all night"? Nah, we're gonna go until 10 p.m. or until our mom yells at us for playing this song too loud in our rooms, while we dance and jump along.

19. Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars

This song was the message we needed to hear in middle school, that there are people out there who love us just the way we are: no makeup, no changes necessary.

20. In My Head - Jason Derulo

You knew a bop just came on the radio if you heard "jasOn deRULO".

21. Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO

To this day, if I hear this song, I am immediately transported back to 2011 and I lose. my. mind.

22. Firework - Katy Perry

The metaphors in this song? *chef's kiss* Perfect.

23. Forget You - CeeLo Green

I put "Forget You" because we were all in middle school and definitely not allowed to listen to the original song, and they wouldn't have played it at a junior prom.

24. Born This Way - Lady Gaga

Gaga sang her way into our hearts with this one, and it became a huge anthem for every kid who grew up thinking there was something wrong with them.

25. Rocketeer - Far East Movement ft. Ryan Tedder

I don't know what it was about this song exactly, but I still belt my heart out when it comes on! To this day!

26. What the Hell - Avril Lavigne

Avril had a log of bops but this one absolutely takes the crown. Also, whatever happened to her? Can anyone answer??

27. Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen

An ICONIC one-hit wonder, this was the song of summer 2012!

28. Payphone - Maroon 5 ft. Wiz Khalifa

Another big music star of our childhood was Adam Levine! I could make a playlist of entirely Maroon 5 or Adam Levine songs from when I was in middle school!

29. Starships - Nicki Minaj

I love Nicki Minaj, the rap queen, but did any of us know what this song was about in middle school? Absolutely not.

30. What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction

The breakout song for one of the most popular boy bands of our generation, One Direction! You guys heard that there's suspicion about a reunion, right?

31. Stereo Hearts - Gym Class Heroes ft. Adam Levine

Adam Levine graces our iPods yet again!

32. The Edge Of Glory - Lady Gaga

"Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before."

- Everyone after Lady Gaga graced us with yet another anthem.

33. Mirrors - Justin Timberlake

This song was perfect because we all got to experience and fall in love with Justin Timberlake, just like the generation before us did!

34. Royals - Lorde

Lorde was such a vibe, but they only had maybe one other hit after Royals, and then she disappeared! I need more of her music!!

35. Holy Grail - JAY-Z ft. Justin Timberlake

This song was, in my opinion, the perfect blend of rap and pop, because we got Timberlake, the boy band icon, AND Jay-Z?? Love it.