A Playlist From The iPod Of A Middle Schooler In 2013

Sometimes I wish I could travel back in time to the good ol' days of One Direction dominating the music charts.

6886
boy and girl listening to music

Let's face it, middle school was a tough time for us all. We all struggled with figuring out who we are, who our friends are, what we want in life...but one thing that kept me from falling apart in the midst of all the drama and confusion was music. Sometimes it feels like music peaked back when I was a middle schooler. Not to say there hasn't been amazing music since then, but I always find myself crawling back to these old favorites whenever I need a pick-me-up. So, without further ado, here are some songs I wouldn't be surprised to find on my old iPod Touch.

1. "Heart Attack" by Demi Lovato

Anyone who says they didn't sing this song in the shower in an effort to hit those immaculate high notes when it first dropped is a liar. It was one of those songs I couldn't help but sing along with every time I heard it, even if my version wasn't quite as bombastic as Demi's.

2. "Cups" by Anna Kendrick

Ah, this one brings me back to the good old days of playing with cups at a lunch table with my friends. Did the cups thing get old eventually? Perhaps to some. Does this song still get stuck in my head constantly? Absolutely.

3. "I Knew You Were Trouble" by Taylor Swift

I've never been much of a Taylor Swift fan, but I listened to this album on repeat in middle school. This song in particular was what won me over. It's just so different from the rest of her music, and I loved that.

4. "Royals" by Lorde

Did anyone else feel really mature whenever they listened to this song in middle school? No? Just me? As someone who mostly listened to mainstream pop artists, this song was a whole new experience, and it's one of those songs I find myself coming back to even now.

5. "Best Song Ever" by One Direction

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a massive Directioner in middle school. This song in particular was my favorite and not just because of its iconic music video. The title doesn't lie; at the time, this was what I sincerely considered to be the best song ever. It still holds up, if I'm being honest. The second I hear the first few notes of this song, it's too late for me. I'm going to sing my own pitchy rendition of the whole thing from start to finish and no one can stop me.