“Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.” –Christopher Germer
Self-care can be defined as activities that we can engage in on a regular basis to reduce stress and enhance our health/well-being. As an aspiring social worker, I know the importance of self-care and how it impacts my professional/personal life, but most other career fields do not teach this essential part of healthy living.
Learning to take time the time to value myself has done a lot for my mental health, and I feel it's important for me to share some tips on how others can do the same.
1. Take a hot bath (or shower) with your favorite scented soap.
(This is my personal favorite way to self-soothe.)
2.Take a nap.
3. Call a friend/relative/anyone that makes you happy.
4. Clean your room.
(This one sounds kind of terrible, but trust me, a clean room will make you so happy.)
5.Mute/unfollow/unfriend negative people on your social media accounts.
6. Take 10 deep breaths and tell yourself you will get through it.
7. Write yourself a compliment and stick it on your mirror.
8. Write down all your thoughts.
9. Play with animals (if you enjoy that).
10. Play some music you like, really get into it, move with the music.
11. Light a candle.
12. Make some delicious food.
13. Sketch out everything you're feeling.
14. Write down how you wish you felt about yourself, in compliment form. For example, if you're feeling overwhelmed with schoolwork, write: "I have my schoolwork under control." and stick it on your mirror.
(Remember that your state of mind will actually shape your reality.)
15. Drink a big glass of water.
16. Remember the difference between thoughts, feelings, and facts.
17. Watch a show you like.
18. Do some yoga.
(If you don't feel comfortable going to a class, check out on-demand, YouTube or Netflix.)
21. Tell the people you love how much you love them.
22. Do volunteer work.
23. Compliment others.
24. Start a journal.
25. Reconnect with an old friend.
27. Go to the library.
28. Take a walk.
29. Go shopping (or window shopping).
30. Remember that you deserve to be happy and healthy.