3 Takeaways from the Broncos-Panthers Game

A few takeaways from the first game of the year.

1
Google Images

The time had finally come. NFL is back and couldn't have started off with a better game in a Super Bowl rematch between Cam Newton's Carolina Panthers and the Super Bowl champions Denver Broncos. I sat there with my delicious Papa John's and got prepared to watch, what i thought and what ended up being, a fantastic football game. Great matchup's, great offense going up against an even better defense. There was no better way to end my Thursday. After the game, I came away with 3 things that caught my eye.

1. CJ Anderson is going to be real good

CJ Anderson certainly wasn't bad last year, rushing for over 700 yards and 4.6 yards per attempt, 200 yards receiving and 5 TD's for the year, but coming into the year everyone knew he was going to play a larger role on the team. He is an elite red-zone rusher and he definitely showed his offensive skills during the game Thursday night. Rushing for 92 yards on 20 carries which included 1 touchdown, and also 4 receptions for 42 yards and a receiving touchdown against the fifth-best rushing defensive in the league and one of the best pass defenses in the NFL. Don't be surprised if you hear about this guy more throughout the year.

2. Cam Newton needs to watch out

Cam Newton made a name for himself last season not only with his touchdowns and dabbing, but also by getting too happy in the end zone after. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that he takes the game ball and gives it to his fans, dabs like a mad man, and simply doesn't have one care in the world for the people he's playing against but if he keeps this up, his season might fall short this year. He is just asking for someone to deck him. Thursday, there were for sure 2 or 3 occasions where targeting could of been called but never got called and I see that happening almost every game. Everyone in the NFL not wearing a Panther's jersey, strongly dislikes him and that is only going to show on the field.

3. I'm impressed with Trevor Siemian

I'll admit it, I wasn't sold on Trevor Simian at all coming into the year. Heck, I didn't even know who he was for a while. He played one snap in his career and it was on a kneel play… Yes, a kneel play. And his first game of the year would come against one of the best defenses in the NFL? I was skeptical, but he proved me wrong. He may have had 2 interceptions, but he led a strong charge in the 4th quarter to beat the Panthers. With pressure mounting on his shoulders in one of the most anticipated match ups of the year, he didn't shy away. If he continues to connect with Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas and that offense, we may see them playing for another Super Bowl in February.