20 Things I Learned At 20

20 Things I Learned At 20

As my teenage years unwind, I've found I've learned a thing or two.

32
20 Things I Learned At 20
Crosswalk.com

As I come closer to my 20th birthday, I find myself wondering how it's possible that I won't be a teenager anymore. Turning 20 has always seemed that it would never happen that quickly, but now it is right around the corner. In my almost two decades on this Earth, I have learned many lessons not only about myself, but about life in general.

1. Mom is always right.

2. Don't sweat the little things. I know it's much easier said than done, but most worries are temporary. Move on from the past and focus on the future ahead.

3. Focus on yourself. Take time out of the day to unwind, whether it be watching How I Met Your Mother for the umpteenth time or listening to a chill playlist on Spotify.

3. It's okay to cry. I am not one to show sad emotions in front of people, but I'm learning that it's not the end of the world if it happens. Sadness is what makes us human; it's natural.

4. Take photographs whenever possible. That being said, also live in the moment, not just on a phone.

5. Keep a snack, Chapstick and a phone charger in your backpack or purse at all times. You will thank me later.

6. Don't feel the need to say "yes" to everything. That brings me back to number 3. Sometimes you have to put yourself and your mental sanity first.

7. Attend as many live music events as your wallet will let you. There's something about the atmosphere at a concert that puts all worries aside for a few hours.

8. Be around people who make you want to be a better version of yourself. I am thankful that I have friends in college that make me laugh and be myself every day, as well as back home. Find a support system that will lift up your spirits even on your worst days.

9. Remember that everyone has insecurities. Again, that's what makes us human. Don't point out flaws in someone. You don't know how much that insecurity can keep them up at night.

10. H&M, Forever 21, Tj Maxx and Goodwill have cute and affordable clothes and accessories that look just as nice as more expensive brands. A trendy logo isn't needed to be fashionable.

11. To my high school self, your acne will go away. The scars that you longed to disappear will go away with the help of your dermatologist, and you will feel much more confident. Also, wash your face every day. It's the worst having to get up to wash your face when you're tired, but it will prevent those annoying red bumps.

12. You don't need a significant other to be happy. Rely on yourself to be happy first.

13. Start a "favorite memory a day journal." I bought a miniature one for 3 dollars at Staples, but a notebook can have the same effect. When you are feeling down in the dumps, look at the book and you will see how grateful you are to live the life you have.

14. Everyone was right. Coffee is how you will survive college.

15. Keep a planner with all test and due dates written out. Bonus points for color coding it.

16. Smile at strangers. You never know, a simple act like this can make their day brighter.

17. Get cleaning supplies at the dollar store. They do their job the same as name brands at Target.

18. Don't waste your life away wishing for the weekend. You never know when your last day is going to be, so why not live life to the fullest in the present?

19. Men's deodorant works better than women's. As much as I love the scent Cocoa Butter Kiss by Secret, it doesn't do its job. Old Spice can do no wrong.

20. Control what you can and confront what you can't.