20 Life Lessons I've Learned in 20 Years

Here's to 20 years of love and learning.

37
Kamila Marek

Yes, I know, this has been written and published a hundred times before, but I wanted to put my two cents in, so here I go.

1. You can't please everyone, so you might as well do what pleases you.

Honestly, there's no one that's really worth constantly impressing in the world. I'm definitely a people pleaser, but I'm not going to do something that I am against for the sake of making someone happy. It's pointless. If they're not okay with it, then clearly they're not meant to be a big part of your life.

2. Spend as much time with your family as possible.

I cannot stress this enough. Family really is forever, so don't hide upstairs when your aunt comes to visit or fake a stomachache to avoid visiting grandma. My family has provided me with the best memories of my childhood, and they continue to give me nothing but happiness.

3. Some friends don't last forever, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Not everyone is permanent. It's sad, but true. There are people I were convinced were going to be in my wedding party that I have not spoken to in years. Sometimes, it's just a natural growing apart. Others were just toxic parts of my life that needed to be cut off. One door closes, a million more open.

4. Be open to new experiences.

Try that new food. Go ride that roller coaster. Go cliff jumping if someone asks you to go. Why stay in your comfort zone? Who sits in their rocking chair at 70 years old, grateful that they went bowling three nights a week and mini golfing the other four? Exactly. Live a little. If you don't like it, you don't like it. But you won't know unless you try.

5. If you don't want a relationship, don't get into one.

It's really a simple concept. I, for one, am not the type of person to want an intimate relationship. And I don't have people knocking my door to date me, but sometimes, people do show interest. But it's just not what I want, so I don't pursue it. If it happens, it happens. I want an actual connection, not one I had to create.

6. If you hate your physical appearance, do something about it.

Obviously, I'm not referring to something that cannot be changed. If it cannot be changed, then it should really be embraced because it's what makes you unique. But if you're dying to be a blonde or want a six pack, do it (as long as it's all in a safe and healthy way). I'm sure you're fine the way you are, but if you think you could look better and feel more confident if you were a little different, then do it.

7. Learn when to laugh it off.

Shit happens. You get a speeding ticket, something embarrassing happened the night you downed a tequila bottle by yourself, or someone decides to say stuff about you. While in the moment, it sucks and you're angry, eventually it will seem so irrelevant.

8. Care about your grades in school.

This is so so important. School matters. No matter what you decide to do after high school, people will respect you more if you worked for your grades instead of settled for them, even if they're not straight As. A little bit of effort can go a long way. If you're in a competitive major, then your GPA is critical. So care.

9. Your best friends aren't always the ones who've been around the longest.

Quality > Quantity. You bond with some people better than others, and the length of a relationship doesn't define the strength of it. There's people that I've known for 10 years that I only consider acquaintances, while there are people I met this year that I would trust with my life.

10. Take pictures... A lot of pictures.

Keep albums. Your camera is your friend. Take pictures at the party. Take pictures at the top of the mountain you climbed. They'll bring back so many memories later on and help you remember all of the good times. Trust me. Pictures are very comforting, especially when memories are all you have left of someone or someplace.

11. Make a bucket list.

A bucket list is honestly one of the best things I've done. Mine has life goals, professional goals, travel goals, and anything in between. It's pretty motivating and rewarding checking something off, and others give you plans for the summer. Overall, a bucket list makes you think about everything you want to accomplish in life, no matter how big or small.

12. Never say no to an adventure.

Never. Unless it's illegal or dangerous. But never. Your friends want to randomly go on a road trip? Go. They want to go to the zoo? Go. Someone invites you zip lining? Go. Invited to go on spring break in Disney? You get the point.

13. If your mom says she doesn't like someone, listen to her.

Seriously, mother knows best. Everyone that my mom had a bad feeling about ended up being a bad person for me that I no longer associate with. I always said that she could never understand, but she's been there. A mother's intuition is the most powerful sense out there.

14. Believe in second chances, but know that not everyone deserves one.

Second chances can't just be dished out, let alone third or fourth. It's hard being a forgiving person because I feel as if people constantly hurt me and know I won't cut them off. I've learned, however, that some people just don't deserve a do over. It's important to know when to let go.

15. Treat. yo. self.

Buy that $60 makeup palette. Buy those end zone seats. You deserve it. We only live once, we might as well have nice things. Parks and Recreation taught me this very wise and very true life lesson. Most of us may be balling on a budget, but budget in some presents for yourself now and then.

16. Don't do favors for people who wouldn't do it for you.

I'm returning to the concept of not letting people walk all over you for a second. Don't drop everything to help someone out if you know very well that he or she are not that type of person. Once I learned how to do that, I feel like I'm appreciated more.

17. Know what's going on in the world.

Keep up with current events. It makes for good conversation and debates, plus it just makes you look smarter. A lot of important stuff is always happening, and a lot of those events have the potential to affect you personally. Picking up a newspaper (or going to its website) can be a worthwhile experience.

18. Life is too short to hold grudges.

People have done things to me. Partners have cheated and friends have been shady. Definitely cut them off, but don't be a spiteful person. It's so much work, and you have way more important things to focus on than making someone's life hell. Just let it go and move on.

19. Find your passion and stick to it.

Don't do something with your life that isn't going to make you want to get up in the morning. The median salary shouldn't stop you from pursuing your interests. I get told all the time that there's no money or career opportunities in my major, but that just means that I have to prove those people wrong.

20. It's not a mistake if you make the same decision constantly.

You screw up once and you learn your lesson. You screw up twice, but it's still okay because maybe things could go differently. You screw up five times? Nope. It is now a choice, and not a good one. Learn the difference, and don't allow your mistakes to become choices.