To The Girl Experiencing Her First Heartbreak
relationships

The songs are right — heartbreak of the most painful things a person can go through. So where do you go from here?

531

I truly believe that my dad said it best when he told me "Each heartbreak hurts, but the first always seems to be the worst." If you're anything like me, the days after your first heartbreak, you feeling like you can't breathe. And as the songs say, you feel like this feeling will never leave. I remember each friend and family member telling me over and over again "everything happens for a reason" and "time is the only thing that will heal your heart".

My first heartbreak came at the end of my senior year of high school. I remember driving away from his house with tears running down my face and thinking, "This is why people have written so many songs about a heart breaking." I was lucky in the sense that the ending of my relationship was far from ugly. He was going away to attain his dream and we had decided not to date long distance. I couldn't have been happier for him, but I was heartbroken to lose all that we had while also losing my best friend.

So, sweet girl, I've been where you're at. I've felt what you have. And I've healed. Though it was one of the longest and most painful things that I have ever had to go through, I wouldn't change it. Through heartbreak, I've learned how wonderful my friends are - that your girls will be there to cry with you and your guys will be there to make you laugh. I learned to let my mom into my heart because she really does have the best advice. There's nothing like a good breakup playlist on long drives. (Here's mine if you want to give it a listen!) And unfortunately, time really is the only thing that will heal your heart (but keeping busy for the time being can go a long way!).

Of all the things I learned, however, there are two things that I share with all my "gal pals" when facing heartbreak and that I also want to share with you. The first is that everything really does happen for a reason. You were in that relationship for a reason and that relationship ended for a reason as well. There are lessons you can learn from each experience and it is up to you if you will choose to use this experience to grow and better yourself.

Over and over again, I remember thinking that there was something wrong with me and that I would never ever be wanted or be worthy of someone's time again. The second and most important lesson I learned was that, despite what I was feeling, I was still capable of being loved again, and so are you. You never know, another chance at love may be just around the corner…

This is my encouragement to you. You are worthy of love and something positive will come out of this. Let time do its thing. ;)

"One small crack does not mean that you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and you didn't fall apart." — Linda Poindexter