15 Ways To Relieve Stress During Finals Week

This is not a cure-all, but it can help.

25
Unsplash

With finals coming up, stress is pretty much inevitable. Tests, essays, final presentations -- it’s enough to make anyone pull their hair out. This is by no means a cure-all, and anyone who tries to market it as such is being silly. Some of these are probably familiar to you. But here are a few ways to take a few minutes from your day and relax in the face of the taxing work that is finals.

1. Coloring books or apps.

You’d be surprised what putting all of your focus on something can do. There’s no pressure, because you don’t have to draw anything. But if you just download a coloring book app, or go down to your local book store and buy a book and some non-expensive pencils or pens, you may discover a hidden artistic ability.

2. Yoga.

I know, this one is kind of a cliché. Like I said, I’m not marketing it as a cure. But even finding a 15-minute introductory video on YouTube can be enough to add some calm to your day. I know that a good yoga video can even readjust my spine (though if you have back problems, you should still see your chiropractor).

3. Writing, journaling, or reading.

Maybe it’s just because I’m a writer, but sitting down for a few minutes and doing something with the written word when I’m stressed out can be really soothing. You never have to share anything with anyone; you can just keep it for yourself, or burn it when you’re done. But writing down your feelings can bring you clarity. Reading someone else’s writing can bring you realizations about your own life you never could have known.

4. A hot shower or bath.

Hot water can do a lot to make you feel relaxed. Personally, I’ve never found much enjoyment out of baths, but if I’m feeling really stressed out, a shower can do me a lot of good. But maybe baths work for you. Use scented salts, or candles, or both. Turn on some music, or read a book (but don’t drop it).

5. Spend time with a friend or loved one.

It’s as important to take breaks as it is to do your work. If you’re feeling drained, or down, or alone, call up someone who is supportive of you and get together with them. Or just talk with them on the phone. Just hearing someone else speak can be soothing.

6. Do your work in a timely manner.

OK, so self-care isn’t always fun. Sometimes staying on top of your stress is as simple as keeping on top of your homework and other obligations. Planning ahead will save you significant amounts of stress, and you’ll feel so much better when you’re done.

7. Eat, for goodness sake.

Eat food, and eat well. Eat something that will keep you feeling energetic and get you through your day. Eat frequently so you don’t go hungry. Or just eat what you’re craving, but mix it with veggies and protein.

8. Exercise.

Another cliché, I know. But warming yourself up and getting those endorphins flowing can give you the energy you need to get through your test.

9. Stop. Slow down.

Just stop what you’re doing, close your eyes, and take three deep breaths. In through your nose, out through your mouth. You’ll be surprised what focusing on your breath for a few seconds can do. It’s like a little brain reset.

10. Do something you really enjoy.

Play video games, go hiking, go rock climbing, create pottery, paint, go canoeing (even though it’s cold), go puddle jumping, collect some rocks and paint them, go mushroom hunting (is it still mushroom season?), watch movies, do whatever it is that botanists do, or whatever else your heart desires. Do something that brings you joy or that you know brought you joy in the past. Doing something familiar can keep your mood elevated.

11. Music.

Whether it’s listening to it or making it, tuning out the world around you to focus on something that’s artistic can center you. Listen to something that matches your feelings so you can feel understood, or listen to something happy that will elevate your mood. Whichever works best for you.

12. Stay consistent with your medications.

Vitamins, mood medication, supplements, or whatever else you may be taking -- don’t skip a day. It’s not always easy to remember, but missing days can throw your body off balance and make everything even harder. Make consistency with your medication a priority.

13. Drink coffee, tea, or another hot drink.

Hot apple cider, hot chocolate, or even just hot water. (I like chai tea lattes.) It gives you something to focus on and brings warmth to your face and your belly. Again, it’s about bringing the focus to something else.

14. Hug your pets or the pets in your life.

Spend time with your furry friend, or your neighbor’s furry friend. Animals have a wonderful way of connecting with you. Petting a cat or dog can be a wonderful stress reliever. Plus they’re just so darn cute.

15. Get outside.

It’s pretty yucky out there most days, but regardless, just stepping outside on your porch, or stepping out of your basement building for a few minutes and getting some nice, cool, fresh air, can do you a lot of good.

Well, I’m certain there are other ways to relieve stress, but those are all the methods I can think of. If you’re feeling really stressed and overwhelmed, take a few minutes out of your day and try one or more of these methods. And like I said, they’re not a cure-all, and what works well for one person may not work well for another. Hopefully these have been helpful! Good luck on finals, everyone!