15 Fun Things You Can Do When You're Feeling Self-Destructive

Because distractions from these thoughts exist, but in the moment, we might need help finding something else to occupy ourselves with.

20133
Monica Wittig Schauffler

Don't you love those urges to go out and throw away everything you've worked for in life? Those impulses to ruin all your relationships? I know I think they're great! However, there are also many things I would rather be doing than entertaining those thoughts for long, and I am sure there are many others that feel the same. Unfortunately, there aren't too many suggestions for what to do as an alternative whenever we feel that sense of uneasiness, and the few suggestions that do exist are all the same. Read, draw, exercise, call a friend, listen to music... They aren't bad suggestions and lots of folks swear by them, but sometimes you just don't want to do those things. For all my fellow impulsive friends out there, I present to you, a handful of different ideas on activities to busy yourselves with.

1. Watch paint mixing videos

Watching colors blend is good for your soul. Check #paintmixing on Instagram for more! Good for when you need something to help you calm down and breathe.

2. Play a video game (and jump off all the cliffs)

Or you can watch people play online. Crash Bandicoot is particularly helpful with its large inventory of death animations, as are the GTA games with all the different things to do like driving into the ocean or jumping off the highway. Good for when you're so frustrated and antsy you need to let off steam (and maybe have a giggle) by killing some pixels.

3. Make clay or slime

You can customize your squish with or without glitter and in any color you want! Good for when you need something to squeeze that isn't someone's neck! Here's a slime recipe, and here is a clay recipe.

4. Go outside and break some ice

Not conversational ice breakers. Go out and stomp on little ice puddles. Throw ice cubes at the ground. Enjoy the shatter. Good for when you're tempted to throw your mother's expensive china like a Frisbee.

5. Rip up paper

Probably not blank paper. But if you've been saving up papers that you need to run through the shredder, maybe kill two birds with one stone by saving electricity and taking matters into your own hands, literally. Or, if you're feeling crafty, rip up some construction paper and make a mosaic or scrap book pattern! Good for when you need to drown out the static/ringing in your ears with a more satisfying sound. Like paper ripping!

6. Mash some fruits or veggies

Just in case all the impulsive thoughts make you feel a wee bit peckish. There are lots of things you can make by mashing things, like mashed potatoes, applesauce, and banana bread, for starters! Good for when you just need to exert excessive force onto anything in the near vicinity, and you also feel like having a nice meal.

7. Bath bomb time!

It helps to take a nice warm soak in some bubbly rainbow water. If you don't want to break the bank buying some of those gorgeous Lush bath bombs, there are recipes all over the internet to make your own! Good for when you need a warm hug, but you also need to be alone.

8. Snap crayons into bits

A good alternative to snapping pencils; crayons are often inexpensive, and you can melt them down to turn them into whatever you please, like lipstick (which I've heard also functions decently as body paint)! ...Or, you can turn them back into sticks to continue breaking them at your leisure. Good for when you need to hear and feel a good snap that isn't you breaking your own fingers.

9. Work on a puzzle

Affordable puzzles are at nearly every Dollar Tree! (The ones with animals on them are the best.) Good for when your hands need something to do while your mind stops racing.

10. Get creative with paint

Not just any paint, though. (Unless you want to use any ol' finger paint or acrylic or whatever. Go for it, tiger!) Distract yourself looking for interesting alternatives, like vegetable juice, food coloring, or coffee! Good for when you make a cup of coffee but you're too jittery from nerves to actually ingest any caffeine.

11. Watch mini food videos

The only thing more oddly soothing than watching miniature food being prepared would probably be watching puppies feast upon said miniature food. Good for when you need to be reminded that there are still pure things on this planet.

12. Doodle with chocolate

Chocolate melts aren't all that pricey, and when your doodles dry, it doesn't matter if they're pretty or ugly, because when you eat them they'll all taste the same! Good for when you want to write down all the curse words you want to shout at your boss and eat the sugary goodness later to destroy the evidence.

13. Listen to binaural audio

A cool 3D audio experience! Good for when you need to distract yourself with some good sensory stimulation to feel like you're relaxing in a cabin in the woods or lounging on a nice beach when in reality you're just resting in a fetal position on your couch. Headphones are required.

14. Try out new tea/coffee recipes

I speak from personal experience when I say that testing tea or coffee is a good way to occupy yourself with something productive and to get your mind off other thoughts. Plus, in the end, you have a nice refreshment to cool you down or warm you up! Good for when you need something to engage both your restless hands and mind.

15. Go on a Google Maps stroll

Maybe you want to add visuals to your binaural audio track, or you want to walk down the street in a country across the globe while listening to your favorite songs, or maybe you just need a change of scenery but you're too broke to buy a ticket to anywhere. Google Maps can take you there. Good for when you want to leave it all behind, but somewhere deep in your mind, you know you can't afford to do so.

This list isn't exhaustive by any means, and these suggestions might not work for everybody. However, if at least one of the items on this short list is able to help someone feel just a smidge better, let me know! (There may be a sequel to this list in a few weeks.)

Stay safe, find what works for you, and have fun!