14 Things I Learned In High School

14 Things I Learned In High School

They're not the best years of your life

45
14 Things I Learned In High School
huffpost.com

High school is, if not the most, pressured time of our lives. We have to act a certain way, say certain things, wear certain clothes and everything about everyone matters. But, I'm here to tell you that it really doesn't last forever. High school drama really does go away if you let it go. What your future holds after you graduate is up to you. With all of that being said, here a few things I learned in high school. (Remember, these are things I have learned and have been true to me. They may not stand credible to everyone.)

1. Reputation does matter

Now, I'm not talking about having the quarterback as your boyfriend or being the guy who parties and has fun with his friends. Those things are fine. You're a teenager and now is your time to let loose. But, while letting loose, do remember that come the end of junior/beginning of senior year, you will need letters of recommendation and a good reputation can certainly help talk you up. So have the boyfriend on the football team, or go to parties, but make sure while you're doing all of this you keep up with school work, do well in class, participate, be kind to others and offer your help to those who may be too afraid to ask for it.

2. Your grades are not everything

Your grades do matter. They do. You will have a much harder time getting into a well accredited university/school with a crappy transcript,that's the truth. But, they are not everything. One bad grade won't kill you. Two bad grades probably won't kill you. We all have those days or weeks where studying and preparing for things just are not in the agenda. Sometimes you just need to say screw it and take the lose, and that's okay. No matter how hard everyone pushes you to ALWAYS try your hardest, we are humans. Sometimes it's okay to not always try. Sometimes, we just need to relax and let our bodies distress and level out.

3. Your friends might not be your friends forever

Friends in high school are tricky. Usually everyone has their little group and sometimes the little group thing can become too much. What will happen when we all graduate? Will we see each other during holiday breaks in college? As time goes on, and you settle into college, you will realize that your high school friends may simply be just that. You make new friends in college and you experience more of life with them most times. Don't get me wrong, my best friend from high school is still my best friend to this day, but new friends do come around. Once you stop seeing them five times a week, seven hours a day, you might start to realize that that may have been the only reason you were friends with them.

4. There's a reason for the drinking limit.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen to this one. Social media is a great addition to our society but you will have to go out and find a job in a professional work environment eventually. DO NOT post pictures/videos of you doing illegal things on Twitter, Snapchat or Instagram. It may look cool to your friends and peers, but to the 45 year old boss at the job you're hoping to work at, it looks unprofessional and dumb. There's a place for pictures like that and it's in your photo albums and picture frames at home.

5. You will catch feelings for that lab partner, it happens.

We've all been there, the dreamy cute boy or girl that you just can't stop thinking about. It happens, believe me. It feels like the end of the world when they don't like you back, or break up with you, or text the other girl/ boy. But trust me, when we say there's plenty of fish in the sea, there really are. That one lab partner might just be your fish. They really might. But sometimes you need to swim on your own first and try out some other fish, maybe even a few sharks, before you realize what you need.

6. Everyone is going through something.

You are not the only one with issues. Everyone has something. That's important to grasp. Maybe you have it worse, but so what? That doesn't discredit anyone else's feelings. Don't be a bad person. Be kind, be humble, be helpful, and never, ever, be rude to others. Find an outlet for your problems. Maybe you really like sports, so divulge into them. Maybe you're really into community service, join a local non-profit organization. There's never a good excuse to be a bully.

7. Your parents really do know best.

Your mom and dad really are trying to look out for you. They know what happens at parties, they know what your future will hold if you keep missing school. They know. If you ask your parents "Hey guys, I know that there's going to be alcohol, drugs and sex at this party, but can I please just go anyways? They said I could stay the night. It'll be fine, I promise," Did you really think they would say yes? Probably not, my friend. They have your best interest even if it doesn't look that way. Notice how as everyone gets older, they start to value their parents opinions more? It's because eventually you realize they were right all along.

8. The most important skill you can gain in high school is typing.

Seriously guys. Typing is SO important. Take the typing class. Take any course that requires typing because you will need it. Include your typing speed on your resume and watch the numbers grow. Learning how to type not only quickly, but efficiently, is the most important skill I could have ever learned physically. In a world being overtaken by technology, you should hop on the bandwagon now. Plus, older generations will watch in amazement as you typed 75-100 words per minute -- I guarantee.

9. Everyone is immature.

If you can find someone who is perfectly well behaved and never shreds even the slightest bit of poise, then congratulations. Being weird is okay. Being fun is okay. Being immature, at times, is okay. The types of immaturity are what we should focus on. You can be immature without being an a**hole. You can be fun without doing drugs and drinking. If you need those two things to be liked, you should re-evaluate who you hang out with and what you get out of them. Make fun of the teacher's mistakes to your friend, laugh every now and then. Just be subtle. Having fun is not always a crime as long as no one is getting hurt.

10. Your friends should make you feel good about yourself.

If you have friends who you know for a fact you wont talk to when you graduate or you will deliberately ignore them after you leave, really think about why you're wasting time on them. Don't befriend people who do things you don't agree with. Find friends who support you and respect your wishes and requests. Find friends who will treat you well. Do not settle for anything less.

11. Rape jokes are not funny.

Sexual assault is not a joking matter. I do not care how funny your friends or peers may think it is. DO NOT advocate for that kind of behavior. DO NOT be a bystander. DO NOT ignore someone when they try to talk about it. DO NOT go uneducated on the matter. A joke on the topic may silence someone who was too embarrassed or scared to raise their voice. DO NOT be that person. A national statistic says that 1 in 5 girls have reported being sexually assaulted in high school. The numbers don't get better. In the first three months of college, 1 in 2 women will be sexually assaulted. After those first three months, the statistic changes to 1 in 3. DO NOT ignore this. Be an ally, be a friend, and never ignore someone's voice.

12. If you have the option to work alone, do it!

Most times, group projects will test you in every way known to man. Someone will always do more work and someone will always hate the idea. It's better to be the only one you need to rely on for the grade. Take this advice, friend.

13. It's not the best times of your life.

High school will not and should not be the best times of your life. The world is so much bigger than the confines of small hallways and a few hundred people. Just because it's not the best times though, doesn't mean you shouldn't make the memories last.

14. Time really does fly by.

High school goes by so fast. I know that's so old and cliche to say, but it's so true. Eventually you will graduate and all the responsibility kicks in. Money starts to matter, bills start to happen. YOU HAVE TO FEED YOURSELF NOW. Don't rush it. Don't rush these four years. They can suck at times, but you will create memories and learn life lessons you won't even know happened until you're looking back on them 10 years later.