13 Ways To Feel Less Sh*tty This Semester

Even if you only chose to incorporate one or two of the habits I've listed, it will definitely benefit your well-being.

128
Unsplash

New semester, new year, new you- right? Probably not. If you're like me, still reminiscing about winter break and feeling stressed out already about the projects and papers to come, I have a few things you may want to add to your daily routine. I've slowly been fitting them into mine and let me tell you- I feel a lot less sh*tty!

1. Get UP!

When you hear that dreadful noise of your alarm clock going off in the morning, instead of hitting the "snooze" button, just get up! I know I often fall into the habit of hitting "snooze" again.. and again.. and again.. just to wake up and rush getting ready. As soon as it goes off, turn it off, sit up and give yourself a few minutes to stretch lightly and mentally prepare yourself for the day ahead. Then get up!

2. Caffeinate without coffee

I will be the first to tell you I love a good cup of coffee. But often I find myself crashing mid-day or getting a little jittery from that extra shot of espresso. Try replacing it with green tea! It contains a little less caffeine, but I find this beneficial because it wakes me up without the jittery-ness coffee often gives me. Green tea also contains many health benefits. Spice it up with a little lemon and honey- amazing!

3. Try this awesome "detox" drink

Three words: apple cider vinegar. This stuff is awesome. It has so many health benefits, you have to try it! Here's a great drink recipe including apple cider vinegar. Grab a pitcher, fill it up with this, and stick it in your fridge so it's easily accessible to boost you up in the morning. I also like to add apple slices to mine as pictured above.

4. Get your "zen" on

All of us can get very caught up in the hustle and bustle of college life. I have the perfect little trick to help slow things down- meditate. This doesn't necessarily entail loud "ooms" or sitting in the same criss-crossed position for hours. Simply start off by taking five to ten minutes of your day to sit with your thoughts and feelings. Find a quiet space, whether it be in a park outside or in your room, get comfortable, close your eyes, and breathe deeply. It may seem a little weird or difficult at first, but stick with it and you will begin to see why some people swear by it- it can work wonders!

Check out this article to read more about the benefits of meditation and how to get started. You can also use Google and Youtube as a tool to find many different styles of meditation and guided meditation videos.

5. Take your vitamins

Swing by your local drug store and pick up a bottle of multivitamins (sure, you can get the gummies.) Dr. Whitaker shares with us that taking a multivitamin every day can boost mood, improve memory, reduce stress, and more! As a tired, stressed out college kid, it sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

6. Read

Do you want to expand your vocabulary, improve your focus, and strengthen your analytical thinking skills? Who wouldn't? Next time you're mindlessly scrolling through Twitter, try putting your phone down and picking up a book. Aim to read for at least 30 minutes a day.

7. Stretch it out

Improve your blood flow, balance, and flexibility by stretching every day. Even if you're not a flexible person, take time in the morning to do some light stretches. It makes you feel more awake and ready to take on the day.

8. Keep a journal

Whether you write a lot or a little, a list of things to do or how you're feeling, a journal can be a good place for self-reflection and reminders to yourself. Even if you just keep notes on your phone, it can help you feel more organized in your head when everything is written out for you.

9. Compliment yourself

When you look in the mirror, instead of focusing so much on all of your "flaws," try taking more notice of the things you appreciate about yourself. I'm not saying it's going to solve all of your problems, but practicing positive self-affirmations every day for as little as 2-3 minutes can tremendously improve your self-confidence and how you view yourself and others. Lidiya K gives us a helpful guide on how to practice what she calls the "mirror technique," as well as this list of confidence affirmations.

10. Call your friends and family back

We often feel too busy to give our parents or friends from home a call. Sure we can find time to send them a quick text, but it's not the same. Even if you can't make it happen every day, I think it's important to find the time to talk to your family and friends. You're consistently making those connections to the people who love and support you. It's always nice to call up a friend or family member when you need to vent or have a laugh.

11. Hit the gym- or the dance floor

Getting to the gym can be tough, especially if you've been up late studying or partying. But trying to fit some sort of exercise into your daily routine will make you feel so much better. Even if you can't make it to the gym, turn your study breaks into a dance party (although, if you're in the library you may get a few weird looks.) Both dancing and working out are awesome stress relievers and release those feel-good chemicals in your brain!

12. Organize your agenda

My organization skills may be a little subpar compared to some, but keeping track of due dates and things to do in a planner definitely makes me feel a little better about them. It gives me a place to go when I need a reminder as to what I need to get done or what I can start preparing for.

13. Catch those ZZZ's

It's no secret that getting enough sleep will definitely help you feel less sh*tty. Naps are a college kid's best friend. Getting in those 7-9 hours isn't always ideal, but make sure you're giving your brain and body time to recharge.