12 Tips to Build Lasting Friendships

12 Tips to Build Lasting Friendships

Friendships are one of the sweetest gifts in life, but how do we make them last?

342
12 Tips to Build Lasting Friendships
Huffington Post

In life, we need friendships. Without them, life would be a garden without flowers. The people who surround us in life carry us through the hardest moments, celebrate our successes, and make the simple times all the more worth remembering. Strong friendships are wonderful, but they require intentional effort to be built to last over the years. Here are several steps to consider when one desires to build a lasting friendship.

1. Learn their story

The best way to truly get to know a person is to stop talking and actually listen. Discover where your friend comes from, what his or her family is like, the struggles faced through the dark ages of middle school, and all the area in between. It's easy to get caught up in the bustle of life, and completely neglect knowing the people within your day-to-day routine. Perhaps you cannot tell of the details which make up the friend you claim to love; uncover her heart by opening your ears to her story, from beginning to end.

2. Spend time with them

Time spent with someone you call a friend allows you to know them, see how they react in different settings, and gives you common ground on which to grow closer. It's crucial to invest time into someone you want to create a long-term relationship with. Don't miss the simple opportunities of "doing nothing" because those can be the most rewarding to a friendship in the end. When fun times occur from simply being together, you know a quality friendship is being made.

3. Make memories

As wonderful as it is to find regular spots to hang out, and typical places you always go with your friends, make sure to find time to do things a little out of the ordinary; make memories worth remembering! Go hiking, or try a restaurant in a different part of town. A mall scavenger hunt always makes for a few good laughs as well. To make a friendship stronger, bind your hearts together with sweet memories you'll treasure for years.

4. Laugh a lot

There is something healing about a little laughter. It brings joy to the soul, and warmth to the body. Giggling at pictures taken months ago, or roaring with hilarity at silly inside jokes about pizza unites two hearts to share golden moments together. A good friend to snicker with also can ease stress in times of anxiety. Basically, laughing should be done regularly for health benefits in all areas, preferably with someone whom you love.

5. Share secrets

There is a saying which goes "secrets don't make friends." I must say, I disagree with that one. Secrets, in this sense, mean to share heart-to-heart information not everyone else knows. Intimate moments of midnight conversations about life, dreams, goals, and hurts are blessings in friendships. With secrets, you're able to better appreciate each other and create a wordless language of understanding you both grasp.

6. Stick up for each other

If you want to guard a friendship, you must protect it with your loyalty. People can be cruel, and that is a reality which must be faced. To get through the rockiest relationships school or work can throw, you need deep, trustworthy friendships to lean on. To show your love for the people you care for, defend them at all costs.

7. Be spontaneous

Every once in a while, do something crazy! Make some memories, and get out of your comfort zone. Choosing to participate in an out-there activity at least every few months to keep your friendship fresh and fun.

8. Be vulnerable

To build a close friendship, one must let go and allow another into your heart. Be honest, and be real. A relationship calls for transparency.

9. Consider their opinion

Friends are some of the best people to look to for advice. They know you, and they sincerely want the best for you. When in doubt of yourself, consider asking for a friend's advice. A friend can be one of the best counselors. Discussing the difficulties of life allows for friends to delve into the deepest parts of each other, which leads to more intimate friendships.

10. Make them feel special

Little things can make a huge difference on a friendship. Every once in a while, remind your friend you care for them. Make an effort! It could be a small gift or the gift of extra quality time. One of my favorite things to do is to leave notes in places for my friends to uncover later. This gesture shows how much I care about them and allows me to encourage them in a simple, but effective way. Think about what would make your friend feel loved, and carry it out.

11. Serve them

By opening your heart to voluntarily serve those you care for, you can demonstrate a selfless love . Choosing to see a friend's needs rather than focusing on your own opens a new level of love in a friendship.

12. Be yourself

The best part of a friendship is the open freedom to be yourself. Choose to unguardedly hold your personality with transparency. You are individual, and you are created to be you! You owe it to a friend to be in your natural state all the time. It's no fun to be an imitator; choose genuity.