12 Ways To Celebrate Galentine's Day With Your Best Friends

Ladies celebrating ladies.

23
Amanda Orebaugh

What is Galentine's Day? Well, according to "Parks and Recreation"’s Leslie Knope, it is the best holiday of the year, a day of “ladies celebrating ladies.”

I have always been a “girl's girl.” From childhood to adulthood (although I might consider myself more “adult adjacent,” but I digress), I have been surrounded by female friends. I was the 7-year-old surrounded by girls as we played stuffed animals, the 12-year-old whose favorite thing was getting together with a dozen other girls and straightening our hair, and the 16-year-old who actually liked being at an all-girls school. Now, not much has changed (except no straight hair -- who's got time for that?). Yes, I love my baby bro, and all my male friends and cousins -- especially Andrew, whose wedding I will be a groomsman at in a few months (Hi Andrew!) -- but I still am “girl’s girl” at heart. Female friendships have been one of the most important aspects of my life; my friendships with women have built up my confidence and helped me grow into a better, kinder person.

So, on February 13th, the day before Valentine's Day, I encourage you to make like Leslie and celebrate the ladies in your life. I know I will!

1. Dress up with nowhere to go.

Of course you CAN go out -- dinner, drinks or even just a walk -- but the getting ready is the real fun part. Remember getting ready for middle school dances? I think that was always the best part: Loud music, lots of snacks, make-up, and gossip. Get a group of girls, do your hair, make up and put on your highest heels (or cutest ballet flats -- no judgment!).

2. Hike, kayak, or camp (communing with nature is optional).

With my female friends, I have hiked up mountains, kayaked to picnic spots, and slept on a cliff facing out to the ocean. Explore the wilderness and get in touch with your inner badass. Talk about girl power!

3. See a movie.

Bonus points for a) feminist movies, b) outdoor movies and c) movie theater snacks.

4. Go listen to live music.

There's something special about seeing music live, whether it's a stadium concert or house band at a bar. I dedicate this suggestion to my mom, who has dragged me to concerts, in bars, restaurants, theaters and stadiums, in every city we have visited together. Love you, Mom!

5. Get some coffee and explore.

Grab a coffee beverage of your choice and explore: Go on a walk through a cute park or into that one shop that has antique bobble heads or vintage scarves. Exploring is always more fun with friends (and overpriced coffee)!

6. Ice skate.

I am horrible at ice skating, but falling with friends is a bonding experience!

7. See your friends you haven't seen in forever.

This photo is what happens when I don’t see my best friend for an extended period of time (we are at the airport bar and I honestly have no idea what we are talking about). Do yourself a favor and visit, Skype or call your female bestie who you keep meaning to reach out to.

8. Go do something crazy.

Story time: I was having a rough day when I was studying abroad (there’s no way to sound non-pretentious saying that, sorry) and some of the girls I was traveling with invited me to go with them to an “ice bar.” Turns out it was a five-story club and ice bar, and it was a fun, hilarious, and completely unforgettable night. So go with your friends and do something crazy (but still safe! Please be safe too!).

9. Dance your heart out.

Whether it’s a club, a bar, or someone’s living room, dancing is simply the best. Grab your squad and hit the dance floor -- or for bonus points, learn a dance together. Wobble, anyone? (Also, side note: If anyone can tell me what I am doing in this photo I would greatly appreciate it.)

10. Travel, even if it's just in your hometown.

I got to study abroad with 10 amazing college women (also two amazing professors and the coolest 12-year-old ever -- we miss you, Helen, Justin and Nikobi! It is an experience I will always treasure, but I realize we are not Kardashians and can’t drop everything and fly all of our friends to Europe on a whim. Take friends on a road trip to a neighboring city, or even your hometown. Go do touristy things that you wouldn’t usually do, like explore the zoo or the Natural History Museum. It will be fun, I promise.

11. Have an old-school sleepover.

Even if you're an adult (or adult adjacent, like I feel all the damn time), it doesn’t mean you are too old for the joys of a sleep over. Grab "10 Things I Hate About You," jelly worms, and sleeping bags -- you won’t be sorry. (Matching pajamas not required, but are adorable.)

12. Go to brunch.

The OG Galentine's Day outing is the gold standard for a reason. What's better than a celebration of female friendship and waffles? Honestly, nothing.

Whatever you do this Galentine's Day, it will be amazing (even if you don’t take any of my pretty awesome suggestions) because you will be with your amazing female friends.