11 Tips For Getting Through The Holidays And Seasonal Affective Disorder

It's okay to feel down during the "most wonderful time of the year."

16
Wordpress

The holidays, or just the transition of seasons between them, can cause many of us to have mood changes and a harder time finding constant happiness. It is a time when seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, is more common. SAD is defined on Web.md as a "type of depression that occurs during the same season each year." It varies from person to person, but the holidays can lead to SAD due to unrealistic expectations, changes in weather, or loneliness, among other things. Here are some ways that you can get through the season in a healthy way and make the best of it:

1. Stay connected and reach out to others

Even though there may be more rain and cold outdoors, do not let it keep you cooped up inside for too long. Reach out to your friends and family and try to avoid prolonged isolation.

2. Take care of your basic needs

Make sure you eat right, exercise often, and organize your time well so that your body stays healthy and you avoid unnecessary stress.

3. Get outdoors

This goes hand in hand with #1, but it is important to get as much daylight as possible during the colder months to boost your vitamin D intake.

4. Find consistency in your life

Target things that you do daily to remind yourself that certain things will always be the same, even as everything else changes. Developing a routine helps with this, even if it is as simple as showering at the same time each morning or heading to the gym at the same time during the day.

5. Consider artificial sources of light

There are technologies designed to provide extra indoor light to boost your mood and energy.

6. Acknowledge what you need at any given moment

It is okay to reflect for a moment and ask yourself what can help get you through the day. Maybe you need some extra rest, or a night out with some friends.

7. Develop wintry hobbies and interests

Taking up activities that are winter-related can help make the season more fun. Ice skating, skiing, snowboarding, and baking can be great outlets.

8. Relax

Meditate, stretch, or do some yoga. Mindful relaxation is great for your body and your mind.

9. Talk about it

If you open up to others, you might be surprised how common these feelings are this time of year. Communication can free up your mind as well.

10. Work on your perspective

Remember that nothing lasts forever, no matter how good or bad. The seasons will change, and you will be okay. Each time there is a change, there is more room for growth, patience, and mindfulness.

11. Be kind

Be kind to others, but don't forget to be kind to yourself, too. Your expectations for yourself don't have to be so high! You can do it.

Holidays are joyous times for many, but they can be hard for others. Regardless of which one you are, try to open your mind to the idea that everyone goes through it in a different way. It is the season of giving, so do some of that, too!