11 Things NOT To Do After A Breakup, Even If It Feels Like You Want To

Better known as how to be single correctly.

2258
NBC Universal

It happens, okay?

You think you're really in love with someone and then you're not, or they're not in love with you, or maybe something horrible happened and it just needed to end. Maybe it's a long time coming or it's completely out of the blue. No matter what, breakups hurt both sides.

Whatever you may do to cope, there are certain things we can all agree you should absolutely NOT do.

1. Get a haircut or tattoo.

Whether you were the couple lovingly posting every month on 'your anniversary' or the couple who nobody even knew you were together, your break up is your business and your business alone. Don't tell your friend's aunt's cousin about it.

2. Post about it on social media.

3. Pretend you're fine if you're not.

Your friends are there for you, your family is there for you. You don't need to be all Mr. Tough Guy about this. Everyone knows that it sucks, and no one is going to blame you if you just need to cry about it.

4. Communicate with your new ex.

It's only been a few days, or a week, or a month and you're "having thoughts" about the break up, the reasons why, an inside joke or returning their stuff. But, this is you time. When it doesn't cause you anxiety, maybe recruit a friend to help you talk to your ex.

5. Rebound.

You need time to heal by yourself. You need time to be by yourself. Have fun in ways that don't require a boo. Rebounds also end very quickly, and it's not fair to you or the other person to go through another round of pain.

6. Cyber stalk.

Posting about lunch with a friend has no meaning. Being tagged in a photo has no lasting repercussions for you. Do you really want to do this to yourself?

7. Abuse substances.

Don't say you're going out to 'have fun and forget.' It's basically saying you're going to drink too much. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

8. Complain too much.

Give yourself a period with your friends to grieve and complain all you want. After that, you stressing on it is only you making it worse for yourself.

9. Start seeing/dating/hooking up with their friends.

Why would you put yourself in the situation to be connected to them in any way? You're only seeing their friend so that you can still be close to them and you know it. Don't ruin a friendship just because your relationship ended.

10. Compare yourself to their new bae.

Okay, so they moved on. They may have moved on quicker than you would have liked. Maybe new bae is better looking than you or went to a better school or something. But, they are not you. They have never been you. They never will be you. Just because you and old bae didn't work out does not mean that you need to be unhappy because of their new happiness.

11. Give up on yourself.

Your life isn't over, your relationship just is. You're still a total catch and a badass, and you cannot believe that this is the end. Your social life, your career, your family doesn't stop. Be the best you, and get out there in a bit!