108 Years Were Worth The Wait

108 Years Were Worth The Wait

Cubs Win the 2016 World Series.

4
108 Years Were Worth The Wait
MLB

The curse has finally been broken and the drought is finally over. After 108 long years, the Chicago Cubs are your World Series Champions. Wednesday, November 2, 2016, is a day that Cubs fans will remember and cherish for the rest of their lives.

The Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series Champions, and yes, you did read that correctly. The long wait is finally over and it is time to celebrate. The Cubs have finally broken their curse and won it all, but it wasn't an easy task to do. After going 103-58 in the regular season, the Cubs claimed home-field advantage in the National League and would be forced to wait and see who their divisional round match-up would be. After the San Francisco Giants bested the New York Mets 3-0 in the wild card game, the series was set, Giants vs. Cubs. In the best of five series, the Cubs took a commanding two games to none lead over the Giants, but couldn't pull the trigger in game three as the Giants staved off elimination with a 13-inning 6-5 victory at home to cut the series lead to 2-1. The same amount of runs scored would show again for these two teams in game four, but this time it was the Cubs winning 6-5 and punching their ticket to the National League Championship Series where they would face the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The NLCS was an interesting series that featured several high scoring games. After the Cubs took game one, the Dodgers answered back with two wins of their own, taking a 2-1 series lead. Looking to take a commanding 3-1 lead, the Dodgers sent out Julio Urias opposite to John Lackey who started for the Cubs. While the Dodgers looked to put a dagger in the hopes and dreams of the Cubs, Chicago's offense decided that wasn't going to happen and scored 10 runs to LA's 2, tying the series at two games apiece. After that game, the Cubs never looked back, they would go on to win the next two games and be crowned National League Champions, punching their ticket to the World Series.

The 2016 World Series featured two teams who have not won it all in many years, the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians. The teams split the first two games in Cleveland, making the series tied 1-1 heading to Wrigley Field. The Indians would then win the next two games in Chicago, giving them a 3-1 series lead and one win away from becoming World Series Champions. With their backs up against the wall in game five, the cubs squeaked out a 3-2 victory to cut the series to three games to two. In game six, there were no close calls as the Cubs dominated and tied the series at three apiece with a game seven forcing 9-3 victory.

It all came down to one game. Game seven of the World Series, whose championship drought would be ended? Everyone anticipated a tight game the whole way until the Cubs took a 5-1 lead in the game. Although down by four runs, the Indians never gave up. They fought back and eventually tied the game 6-6 in the bottom of the eighth inning. After nobody scored in the ninth and after a 17-minute rain delay, the Cubs woke up again. They scored two key runs to take an 8-6 lead heading into the bottom of the tenth. The Indians would fight back, but could only drive in one run. After holding the Indians to only one run, the Cubs defeated the Indians 8-7 in game seven of the World Series and were crowned World Series Champions for the first time in 108 years. Rejoice Cubs fans, the wait is over!