All Before Midnight

All Before Midnight

The Cubs won the World Series and the world is still turning.

13
All Before Midnight
SportsCenter

November 2nd, 2016. 11:49 p.m. Central Time. It actually happened.

8-7. Ten innings. A 17-minute rain delay. Coming back from a 3-1 series deficit. Hollywood can't even dream of putting this scenario together for a movie.

The Cubs won the World Series. Let me say this again. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series.

And they pulled it off in quite possibly one of the most, if not the most, dramatic fashions any sports fan could ever imagine. Apparently Chicago has a knack for coming back from being down 3-1 in a relatively important series.

Both sides exerted their hearts and souls into this game. They emphasized the "winner take all" hype. Cleveland gave Chicago a run for their money early in the series and yet again in this Game 7 with their incredible offense, bullpen, and defense. Patience was tested, emotions were heightened, blood pressure was raised, and heart rates skyrocketed. Kyle Hendricks pitched outstandingly. David "Grandpa" Ross hit a solo home run. Dexter Fowler hit a lead-off home run and a few singles. Javier Baez hit a solo home run as well. Kyle Schwarber came back from a season-ending injury to contribute offensively. Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, and Ben Zobrist all majorly contributed with important hits. Cleveland came back with Rajai Davis' 2-run homer to send it into extra innings. Carl Edwards Jr. helped close out for the last three outs, only giving up one run (but setting off thousands of pacemakers). Despite all of the challenges, the Cubs fought for what they wanted and won. It may have been an ugly win, but they won. And they absolutely deserve it.

The final out from Bryant to Rizzo had relief, excitement, and pride flying off of the Cubs bench within a millisecond. Every single player sprinted out to first base to tackle each other with hugs and cheers. Tears were streaming from Fowler, Bryant, Rizzo, and Lester's faces. There are not enough words to describe the outpouring of emotions this team. This young group of 2016 Cubs have made a significant impact on Chicago and all of their fans, whether they realize it or not.

I never thought I would see the day where the Cubs won the World Series. My mom and I hugged each other for a solid five minutes. Cheering and crying, we watched with relief as players cried embracing one another. I was, and am, entirely thrilled for all of the lifelong fans that have been waiting their entire lives for this to happen. I may be a diehard White Sox fan, but I was overcome with joy and pride watching this young team win the grand prize in baseball. Numerous friends and loved ones who have passed away would have loved to have seen this in person, but they were present in spirit, guiding (and possibly yelling/swearing) the Cubs to victory. Former Cubs players like Ron Santo, Greg Maddux, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, and other noteworthy members are beaming.

To the Cleveland Indians, I applaud you for all of the incredible hard work and dedication this entire series. Your emotional input in this series did not go unnoticed, and I know you made Cleveland proud. It truly was a race to the finish to win, which is all a sports fan could ever ask. All of your effort is truly cherished by all, especially in Cleveland. Thank you for making this series heart-wrenching, nerve-wracking, and exciting all at the same time.

To the Chicago Cubs, I am at a loss for words. Proving time and time again to fans and spectators, you were the best team this whole year--not just the postseason, but the entire season. Remaining in first place for 161 out of 162 games is astounding, to say the least. You brought back a love of baseball to Chicago that last exploded 11 years ago with the last World Series from the White Sox. You brought happiness to every single one of your fans, present and past. Again, thank you for making this series heart-wrenching, nerve-wracking, and exciting all at the same time. You deserve to celebrate with endless beer and champagne. Go party like it's 1908. Get ready for Chicago to welcome you back with open arms and a HUGE parade.

This really was the year. All that's left to say is, "wow."