10 Things You Will Relate To If You Are the Youngest In Your Family

If you are the "Baby Bro" or "Baby Sis" then you understand the struggles.

86
Haley Farmerie

If you're the youngest sibling in your family then you will definitely be able to relate to these 10 things:

1. Your Siblings are Constantly Complaining About What You are Getting to Do

If you are the youngest there is a good chance you have to experience your siblings complaining about things you are getting to do. Most likely, they will tell you're parents "You would have never let me do that when i was their age" or "They are allowed to do whatever they want". Your siblings will cry wolf pretty much acting like their childhood was under a microscope while you get to reign free, which is 100% not the case (They do it out of love, i think).

2. Hammy-downs Are Your Life

Especially if you are the youngest and have an older sibling who is the same gender as you, you will live in hammy-downs for most of your life. Whether you like it or not. Fortunately for me, my sister and i were similar size and shared the same fashion sense. But for some, you are forced to wear whatever your brother/sister wore when your mom tells you "You don't need any new clothes i have all your older siblings clothes for you to wear." Hey at least the 90s/early 2000s are back in style!

3. Always Being Treated Like a Baby

No matter how old you may be, you will always be the baby in the family. Your siblings/parents will always treat you like the youngest. All your family members will be saying "I can't believe you're in college!" They will always see you as the little baby in the family. Even when you come home from college first semester, they will still hesitate to discuss adult topics around you. R-rated movies at family movie night? Forget about it. You're still a baby in their eyes.

4. Everyone Comes to You For Technology Help

Considering you are the youngest, you're whole family will assume you are the most technological savvy. At family gatherings you will be approached about an iPhone glitch or help with creating a social media platform. Once all your family joins Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter they will also need help friend requesting you (DUH!). Getting those random "I need help with my phone" texts from one of your parents will turn into a weekly thing for you. Even though you're just as technology challenged as the rest of them.

5. You're Siblings Always Make You Ask Your Parents Something

Maybe not as much now, but when you were younger you were your siblings dirty worker. They would always send you, the most vulnerable, to ask you parents a question they were too afraid to ask. Such as, "Can we go get ice cream?" or "Can we get a puppy?". Your siblings assumed since you were the youngest and still innocent and adorable (kudos to us) that your parents would automatically say yes. Occasionally it worked, but other times it did not, causing us to be forever afraid of asking our parents questions. Eventually our charm wore off but from time to time you will still find yourself asking questions for your older siblings.

6. You Have A lot More Parents Than the Average Person

Being the youngest comes with extra parents (Yay for us!). Your older siblings will think they are your Mom/Dad at times, even when you don't want that. Dont even think about saying or doing anything until not only your Mom/Dad approves, but your brother/sister does too. Bringing a significant other home? Not only do you need to make sure Mom/Dad approves but your siblings need to make sure they pass the test too. They may even be harder to please than your Mom or Dad. It is frustrating at times but as you grow up you realize how lucky you are to have people that cares so much.

7. The Level of Quiet That Fills The House When Everyone is Away at College

You could basically hear a pin drop as opposed to the usual music playing and loud conversations. Since all your siblings were away at college, all eyes were on you. Meaning you were the one who had to help your parents with EVERYTHING. It's fine though because you never had to worry about who was gonna eat the last donut.

8. You Get Last Pick On TV/Movies

One of the unfortunate traits that comes along with being the youngest is you are the lowest on the Totem Pole. When it comes time for your favorite show to be on, there is a good chance the remote will get snatched out of your hand. Your siblings always get first call on what movie or tv show you are watching for the evening. Don't even think about trying to change the channel until you move up in the family rankings "little one."

9. You Don't Get to Drive Anywhere

It literally does not matter if you are the best driver in your family. Since you are the youngest the keys will always be snatched right out of your hand. Not only that but you grew up always having to sit in the smallest seat (often the middle seat). Even now that you are older you still find yourself sitting there on long road trips even if you are not the smallest.

10. You Have the Best Role Models

Being the youngest means you get to grow up with so many amazing role models. They pave the road of success for you and are always there when you need advice. Sure, being the youngest has it's downfalls, but it gives you so many people to guide you. Whether it is was starting high school, relationship advice, or anything else you always had people to call up at any time of the day. Near or far, I am so thankful for my older siblings and parents. You cannot find their level of compassion and caring in anyone else. Secretly, being the youngest isn't so bad after all.