10 Things To Do When You Have A Concussion

It's not all fun and games...

42244
Hellman Holistic Health

One of the hottest topics today in all of media is the talk of concussions. Over the last ten years the head injury has gone from a Taylor Swift shake it off to one of the most critical studies in all of health today. Concussions have taken the world of sports by storm. From the NFL, the WWE and all the way to UFC, concussions are now something that is more focused on than a severe ligament tear, a broken bone or an emotional issue. This all is obviously due to the long-term effects that concussions have on people.

In the last few years we have unfortunately seen some tragedies take place among beloved athletes due to concussions. Beloved WWE superstar Daniel Bryan recently just retired due to concussions. He admitted that in his near 20-year career, the first five months he already sustained three concussions. Former NFL players Dave Duerson, Ray Easterling and Junior Seau all committed suicide all related due to head trauma symptoms.

When you are now diagnosed with a concussion, the doctors will simply tell you the best thing you can do is to rest and to avoid things that can make your head hurt like light, reading, watching TV, exercising, anything that involves you using your head and eyes, and you even have to be careful to not sleep too much. So what exactly can you do when you have a concussion to pass the time?

I am not afraid to admit that I have been diagnosed four times in my life with concussions, I’m also smart enough to realize that being a former football player, I’ve most likely had more than just four. Therefore, here are ten things I did to kill time when I had a concussion.

10. Rest

This is the obvious one. When you have a giant headache that is constantly throbbing, the best thing you can do is to get as comfortable as possible. Close all the blinds and to just relax in a bed. Don’t sleep too much, though; sleeping a lot can actually delay the length of recovery.

9. Cooking

Cooking is something that doesn’t require much work, just patience. When I had a concussion, I was able to improve some of my culinary skills. Now while I would have loved to just cook on the grill all day, I had to stay away from light. Nothing is wrong with improving your cooking skills by making some baked potatoes, homemade green beans, and a good ole fashion steak. Plus, you get to eat it once it’s all done.

8. Writing

Ever since my days of football ended, I’ve gained the new hobby of writing. It is something that doesn’t require much, just a pen and paper. The best part is that you get total creative control to write what you want. You can write about how you feel, the things you want to accomplish once you get better and eventually, you’ll be able to look back on what helped you get through the painful times in your life.

7. Clean

Now, this will probably be the most unpopular on the list, but the bottom line is that you have to kill some time. Whether we like it or not, there is always something in our households that needs to get cleaned. Obviously, avoid things that involve you using chemicals but things such as sweeping, taking out the trash or putting things away is a good way to kill time. Plus, your parents won’t be able to say you haven’t done anything to help around the house.

6. Go through old things (photos, magazines, etc.)

Most people want to remember their past. While some don’t, the past is what has made us who we are today. What better way to remind yourself of how you got to where you are today (minus the concussion), than to look through old photos? In the end, you will remember not only the good times and bad times, but you may even have questions at the end that will force you to finally call that relative your mother always wants you to talk to.

5. Play board games

We live in a world where the majority of our entertainment comes via our telephones or television. Something that doesn’t require a lot of thinking and helps you avoid light is playing a board game. We all love to play Monopoly but hate how long it takes. But, since you will be confined to not doing much for hours, what better way to kill time then to buy all four of the railroads.

4. Listen to podcasts

The podcast industry is increasingly on the rise. There are thousands of podcasts, one for everyone, no matter your preferences or hobbies. It is something that isn’t too loud, and you can hear some people talk about topics that are controversial or interesting to you.

3. Share old stories with friends or family

In the end, being hurt isn’t fun at all. Sometimes the best medicine is to be with the people closest to us. Just sitting in a circle with friends telling old stories about how someone did something stupid, or that one football game or the upcoming exam someone didn’t study for, can lead to the best, saddest or funniest moments of your life.

2. Sit outside to enjoy the nature we don’t always appreciate

Today a lot of people are too busy to enjoy the very nature we live in. Sometimes just sitting outside in the shade while wearing sunglasses, just taking in your surroundings, can make you really appreciate the world we live in.

1. Walk your pets

As I said before, being hurt isn’t fun. However, you can’t just sit on a couch for two weeks eating junk food—you have to find way to keep yourself somewhat active. What better way than to go on a walk with your dog? This gives you some exercise as well as some quality time with the animal you love and care for.