10 Things I've Learned From Managing Wrestling

And none of them are actually how to wrestle

1735
Samantha Bauer

My freshman year of high school I became a manager for my high school's junior varsity wrestling team. I didn't know anything about the sport or what even happened during matches. Hell, I didn't even know they were called matches. I imagined what I saw on TV and I was completely wrong. During my 4 years of managing wrestling, I made long-lasting friendships with other managers, coaches, and wrestlers across my county. They have impacted me in the most positive ways and I've learned so much from my 4 years of managing a wrestling team that I can (mostly) take with me throughout life.

1) Stand up for yourself

Working the scoring table can get hectic and I can 100% guarantee if points aren't added up the second the ref gives them then there will be an angry, upset grown man aggressively concerned. I learned very quickly how to assertively talk to adults without sounding caddy.

2) Never eat in front of wrestlers

Wrestling is definitely one of the hardest sports I have seen. They have to build muscle but keep in their weight class. I learned very quickly to never bring food around them especially when most are cutting weight for the next day's tournament.

3) You can nap basically anywhere

Getting at your school at 5:30 AM for an away tournament means waking up at 5 AM, throwing on sweats and praying you packed your phone charger since you won't leave the tournament until 12 hours later. So, obviously, naps on the most uncomfortable bleachers are a necessity.

4) Nothing ever starts on time

Weigh-ins are said to be at 8 and then wrestling is scheduled ASAP once ever team is weighed in (maybe an hour). Does that actually happen? Next to impossible, unless ASAP means starting 20-30 minutes after the scheduled time.

5) You will become a test dummy

I've walked into the wrestling room every day during the season, and maybe there were 2 times where I wasn't tripped or put into a headlock. I have never face planted into a mat so many times before.

6) You will also become the team maid

I have never mopped before until wrestling season. I've never seen more disgusting water, afterwards, in my life and I thank God every day that I am not around that anymore. However, it was very important to clean the mats and be prepared to get water, ice, and everything they need because you won't hear the endless complaints if you don't.

7) Be organized

The coaches I have met during my time were not the most organized people (they were still great). Sorting through a file of papers was a disaster, but you have to do it to make sure the coach is happy and the team can run smoothly. Everything is supposed to have a place and as a manager you have many (I guess one is a secretary).

8) Compromise is the key to everything

Tournaments, matches, and lineups will always change and you really won't understand why. Coaches minds will change especially if you have 4 coaches present. During tournaments, mat numbers will change and some people will get hurt. You'll learn to roll with what's going on and not really question anything anymore.

9) How to be discipline

I've seen people (healthily) cut weight and then have to pin a stronger competitor the next day. It's amazing what these guys go through and how discipline they have to be with everything they do. Watching them succeed has made me a better person in what I do in my athletic life.

And the most important one.....

10) Time management

After all the tournaments, practices, and matches you have to remember that you are a student too. Doing homework or studying notes will be done on bus rides or during breaks in tournaments. Papers to do over the weekend but you have a tournament? Bring your laptop and keep track of it, it will make your school life easier.

After my 4 years, I hold what I've learned close to me. The other managers are some of my closest friends I have today. The coaches I've worked with are those whom opinions matter to me. I still keep in touch with some of the amazing people I have met and I hope I remain close with all of them. I've learned a lot from playing soccer and lacrosse, but my strongest bonds have not been from playing, but watching and observing others.