5 Things You're Doing Wrong At The Gym

5 Things You're Doing Wrong At The Gym

Stop judging and your own business.

82
5 Things You're Doing Wrong At The Gym
Gear Patrol

Yes, there is a wrong way to “do” the gym.

People of all ages and sizes go to the gym for a number of reasons. It could be to recover from an injury, to lose weight, to build muscle, to train for a sport or to build up their stamina for cardio. In a space where people go to work and improve themselves and their health, judgment should be the absolute last thing on anyone’s mind, but the gym is a breeding ground for judgmental stares and questioning glances. What’s more is that there seems to be no ceiling on what people will judge others for at the gym. In an attempt to end this cycle of judgment and get people to mind their own, here are five reasons people judge others at the gym and why it needs to stop.

1. For what they’re wearing.

What they’re wearing doesn’t affect you at ALL.

Why are people so concerned about what women wear to the gym? If she wants to rock spandex while she’s lifting, let her. If she looks like a Lululemon model with her makeup done up and the perfect ponytail or if she seems to have just rolled out of bed and picked out her most comfortable old navy brand running leggings and an old high school sports t-shirt (like me 100% of the time), let her. Mind your own.

2. For what exercise(s) they’re doing.

I promise you, whatever they’re doing doesn’t influence your day or workout in any way. Oh, that girl is doing squats, that’s nice, she must be working on her lower body but realizes that squatting is a great exercise to target multiple muscles all over your body. You go girl. And that guy over there is power cleaning. That’s hard as hell, I can’t do that, good for him. Although the sound of him having to drop the bar and plates on the stage is kind of annoying, I can appreciate that he’s pushing his body to the max and probably can’t nicely and quietly place the bar down perfectly every time. If I try this beautiful concept called ignoring it, I can keep going on pleasantly with my workout and mind my own.

3. For being “fat.”

Losing weight = exercise + eating right

Alright, now that we have that equation down let’s apply this judgment to it. If the person is “fat” and they’re here at the gym, EUREKA! They must be here to try to lose weight, or at least be healthy. So, if what you’re judging them for is what they’re actively trying to fix then judging them for it makes about as much sense as judging a student for being in the library.

Mind. Your. Own.

4. For being "too fit."

Honestly? Do we need to judge people so much that now we judge them for kicking ass in what they’re here to do anyway? I’m not sure if it’s jealousy that you don’t look like them or disgust because you think they’re “too big,” but stop. If you’re jealous then bust your own ass to make it to that level. When I go to the gym and see a girl with a super defined delt and bicep, in my head I applaud her. Hell yeah, I want to look like that too and look at you over there already pulling it off. Upper body is hard for women to develop, and since I struggle with it I know she probably did too, and I respect her for that.

If you judge a fit person based on the fact that you think they’re too big then, friend, I have got some good news for you: it is not your body. It doesn’t even affect you, and I know it’s such a shocking revelation for me to say that, but I just saved you some time. Now instead of judging that person, just remember to mind your own and get back to your own workout!

5. For being frequently at the gym and only doing one type of exercise.

First of all, if you see someone frequently in the gym here’s the good news: it means you both are making an effort to hit the gym as much as you can so you should feel proud of yourself and give them some props in your own head. You know how hard it can be to hit the gym, and they’re there too.

Second, you don’t know why they’re only doing cardio or abs or whatever. Maybe that girl isn’t confident lifting weights yet (as so many are) so she sticks to abs and body weight exercises for now until she builds the courage to venture into the free weight section someday. That guy who only lifts may not be able to do cardio for long periods of time due to a health issue. Or that guy who only does upper body may have a leg injury. Or that girl who only does lower body may be falling victim to the myth that women will get bulky if they lift and doesn’t want her arms to look big.

You don’t know their story: mind your own.