He Is Your President

He Is Your President

now accept it and move on

9
He Is Your President
Rafael Gonzalez/Flickr

This past Tuesday, November 8, Donald J. Trump became the 45th president of the United States of America defeating Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton by 62 electoral votes. He is set to take the presidential office on January 20, 2017, and as he does so he will be replacing the first African-American President Barack Obama. There are many people who are unhappy about his victory. There were “protests” all throughout the country. To these protestors I say get over it, it is not as bad as it seems.

On Wednesday, as I walked to campus there was this sense of defeat and dread. y professors were angry and disappointed, and the students all looked down. Then that afternoon I heard that students were planning to join protestors at Manhattan to march to Trump tower and voice their disappointment. I saw some of my friends that were recording live on Facebook and I saw how they were chanting “he is not my president,” “he is a racist,” along with a plethora of expletives. There were people burning the American flag, and there were people blocking traffic.

On twitter, the hashtag #NotMyPresident was trending worldwide with people out right denying his victory. Now there is a petition going on in Change.org asking for the Electoral College voters to go against their states and vote for Hillary Clinton. This petition has over 2 million signatures, and it completely undermines the election process. We have to give trump a chance, he won the elections fair and square. The man is the most energetic candidate I have ever seen, he was everywhere and he worked hard to achieve this victory. Where Hillary was campaigning, Trump was a block campaigning, if Hillary was with the president, Trump was nearby, and in the places in which Hillary refused to campaign, Trump was there too! He gave interviews to every news outlet, and he went after the voters.

He is the president-elect, this petition and these protest will keep the nation divided. If in the off chance that the electors do vote Hillary into the presidency, expect a civil war to erupt and the fall of the United States government. Trump, now should clarify his stance on things, he needs to clarify what he will do with the Affordable Care Act, he needs to make clear what his plan for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival is, and he needs to try and unify the nation. This nation is divided, Latinos are calling the Latinos that voted for trump “self-hating” and “traitors” because they chose to exercise their right to vote.

If the Democrats really want to unify the nation and stand for freedom of speech and tolerance, then they should accept president trump and maybe, instead of staying in their safe zones of New York and California, visit the middle states and try to understand those in the middle states.