You Don't Have To Be A Feminist To Want Equal Rights
Politics

Feminists are simply fighting for women’s rights. They are not putting down men. They are raising up women.

763
Samantha Colbert

In an article I came across recently, a woman wrote https://www.theodysseyonline.com/female-over-feminists"I Am A Female And I Am So Over Feminists." I hadn’t even opened the article yet and I was already getting frustrated. Over them? Feminism is what gave you rights. The right to even write that article. The right to go to school. The right to get a job. The right to be whatever, and whomever, you wish to be.

The definition of feminism is, according to Webster’s Dictionary, “a doctrine advocating social, political, and economic rights for women equal to those of me; a movement for the attainment of the goals of feminism.”

The author of the article wrote, “My inspiration actually came from a man (God forbid, a man has ideas these days).” God Forbid?... Here’s where she is wrong. Feminism does not degrade men. Feminism is for EQUALITY. That means that men and women will have the SAME rights. Feminism is NOT people who believe women are superior to men. Feminism is NOT people who think that men are not worthy or deserving. It IS for those who believe women and men should be seen as equal when it comes to, as the definition states, social, political, and economic rights.

One of her arguments is that “Our bodies are different. It’s not “inequality,” it’s just science.” Yes, our bodies are different. What does that have to do with having equality? Our bodies are not what should determine if we can vote or how much we should be paid. How does the fact that a man has more muscle mass relevant when applying for a position as an attorney, or a doctor? Did you know that in 2010, 81.8% of employed school teachers were women, but on average women made about $5,000 less than the median male salary?

Today, women are more likely than men, to receive a college degree. Yet, women are also more likely than men to have higher poverty rates and lower earnings than men.

She says, “Let’s stop blaming men and society about how we continue to “struggle” and praise the female gender for working hard to make a mark on today’s workforce. We’re doing a kick-ass job, let’s stop the complaining.”

You are so right. But only about part of this line. Women are doing a kickass job working hard to enter the workforce. But guess what? They aren’t getting all of the credit that they deserve. Men are still holding more benefits than women who do the same exact things. If you take a minute to do some research, you will find some seriously significant facts that may blow your mind.

You’ll learn that women earn only 79 cents to the male dollar. You’ll learn it affects all women, of all races, of all across ethnicities. And no. The wage gap does not improve as the years go by. “For women ages 15 to 24 working full time and year round, the wage gap is $4,373 per year. By the time women reach age 45 to 64, they earn $15,404 less than men per year.” Believe me now?

You say “Not everything is a man’s fault.” Who is saying that it is? No one. Again, Feminism is meant simply bring women up to the same standards and benefits that men receive.

My favorite line in this article is as follows, “Men and women are meant to compliment one another—not to be equal or to over-power.” Now you are saying that men and women are not meant to be equal. So that means that one is better than the other? But you also say neither should over-power the other. So that means they are equal? I’m confused.

I do not, by any means, intend to insult or degrade your opinion. But here’s what is comes down to. Why put down feminists? Feminists are simply fighting for women’s rights. They are not putting down men. They are raising up women. You should recognize the difference. We all should. Men and women do compliment each other, they are what makes the world go round. But a lot of things cannot get done without women, and a lot of the hard work that we do, should be appreciated and accepted as equal to similar work that men do.

You see every gender, including men, of all ages, including children too young to even understand what it means, walking and protesting for women's equality.

You don't have to be a feminist to want equal rights. You don't have to be opposed to President Trump. But you should recognize that every woman deserves the same opportunities that men receive. We are just as strong, we have just as much to say, and we work just as hard.