WTF Is Wrong With Our Country?
News

WTF Is Wrong With Our Country?

First, Trump is elected as our president. Now, Brett Kavanaugh is placed in the highest court in our country. Something is wrong.

82
scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com

Why is it that every time I open my phone to look at the news, I am no longer shocked or surprised by the horrors it is filled with? This week, Brett Kavanaugh was confirmed at Trump's nomination for Supreme Court Justice. After hearing the heartbreaking story of Dr. Ford, how could the senators vote "yes" and place him one of the highest positions in our country?

By having people like Trump and Kavanaugh in power, they are silencing the voices of those who have been sexually assaulted and harassed. Many say, "Why don't women just report it?" Well, it's because of this. How do they expect us to report it when nothing comes out of it?

Dr. Ford reported it and yet, her assaulter made it to Supreme Court Justice with no harm done. Reporting it doesn't ruin men's lives. It ruins the girl's life because now, everyone around her knows what has happened to her. In our culture, it is a process to report it. You have to talk to so many people and tell them your story hundreds of times. They all say sorry because they don't know what else to say. They all look at you with sad eyes and say the same things over and over again.

"You are so brave."

"He didn't take anything from you."

"You are a survivor".

While all of these things are true, it's simply not enough. No one can ever understand how a person who has been sexually assaulted is feeling. The trauma that these people have gone through is something that is unexplainable. Sure, you can go to therapy and talk about it, but nothing is ever going to happen unless our country changes the way that they see sexual assault survivors.

This country is stripping away the power that survivors have and giving that power right back to the accused. It saddens me deeply that this is what our country has come to. Yes, I was angry when Trump was elected president. I was angry when he was accused of sexual assault and nothing happened. But now, I am furious Brett Kavanaugh was accused of sexual assault and NOTHING happened to him.

If you have ever questioned why women do not report sexual assault, take one hard look at the culture our country has created for them, and you will know the answer.