'Fake News': The New Loosely Thrown Insult
News

Holding the media accountable should be done at all times. It shouldn't be done to discredit organizations that have been accountable.

54

The Society of Professional Journalists have an ethics code every journalist is taught to live by. The code of ethics inforces that journalists seek truth and report it, minimize harm, act independently, and be accountable and transparent.

Journalists are criticized more and more every day through name-calling and being discredited by the public, opposing news sources, and elected officials. It is the public's right to choose who they trust and follow, however, it is important the public knows who to trust.

Finding the right news sources is done through extensive research. Sometimes the right news source is more than one. Having more information never hurts. No matter how you find your source, all sources should be held to the same standards.

NowThis News recently released a report on the difference between the standards Fox News held when reporting on President Obama and President Trump.

NowThis News points out the inaccuracies, the bias, and the irony between the reporting the organization produced on both presidents.

What If Fox News Covered Trump the Way It Covered Obama? | NowThis YouTube

This report is important because it reflects on the reality of real inaccuracies in the news media. Holding the media accountable is the public's right, however, all sources should be criticized and praised at the same level.

With the term fake news being thrown around loosely, it is more important than ever to hold opinionated, nonfactual, and bias reporting accountable.

Ad Fontes Media

Ad Fontes Media created the media bias chart to help the public decide on their news sources. Ad Fontes Media represents themselves as a reliable source due to their promise not to sell ads to make money.

Research and references like the media bias chart are a great start to reflecting on our media and the term fake news. If the public does not do the research, terms like fake news become exceptionally dangerous when used incorrectly.