Worst Wedding Trends Of 2019

10 Cringe-Worthy Wedding Trends That Any Sane Bride Will Leave Behind

Please, do us all a favor and keep it classy this year...

38

As we're coming off of a very hardcore engagement season, I think now is the appropriate time to share our thoughts and feelings surrounding some common 2018 wedding trends on Pinterest.

Every year, soon-to-be brides stress and stress over creating the most innovative weddings, each one more glamorous and creative as the one they attended before. Yes, your wedding should represent you and your significant other and be as authentic as possible, but there are some things that should not even be allowed at the ceremony or during the reception.

We've all seen "27 Dresses" with Katherine Heigl, yeah? I'm talking about those kind of things. The table settings that make you cringe, the guest book idea that has you whispering "WTF" and that drunken best man's speech that collectively makes everyone really uncomfortable. You'll see what I mean...

Here are the 10 most cringe-worthy wedding trends I hope get divorced in 2019:

1. Mason jars

I swear to God if I see another pickle jar lookin' receptacle I'm leaving your wedding and taking my present with me. This "trend" is not only outdated, but so overdone and #basic. Mason jars as flower vases, mason jars as cocktail glasses, mason jars with candles in them, mason jars filled with candy as party favors—GET RID OF IT. ALL OF IT.

2. Burlap accents

I'm sorry, I think I just threw up a bit. Burlap—it's not cute, comfortable, or conventional. If you're trying to create a rustic vibe, burlap leans more barnyard than country chic. Plus, threads will start to unravel throughout the night, creating a stringy mess on the dance floor and unwanted bits in the food.

3. Rubbing cake in each other's face

Not that this became a trend in 2018, but I felt that it needed to be mentioned: please don't mess up the bride's hair & makeup with sticky frosting! Chances are, she spent a significant amount of money on a stylist to look effortlessly beautiful on her big day, and you just smudged two hours of hard work all for a few laughs.

4. Wearing converse/cowboy Boots/Uggs underneath your dress

Believe it or not, there is a time and a place where it's acceptable to sport this kind of footwear. Your wedding day, a formal event, should not be one of them. Save your cowboy boots for the ranch and your Uggs for the slopes, please!

SEE ALSO: If You Wear Keds On Your Wedding Day, I'm Leaving The Reception And Taking My Gift With Me

5. "Funny" flower girl/ring bearer signs

Okay, some can be quite cute when done correctly, but messages like these make me shiver. The shot-gun wedding/man marries woman because she's the only option leftover reaaallly grinds my gears. It's tacky and kind of embarrassing.

6. Extreme themes

Let's get this straight: weddings should have vibes, not themes. Little girls' birthday parties have themes like princesses, high tea, and "Moana." Your wedding is not one of those occasions. Try for something more classic such as downtown chic, bohemian, or just keep it traditional!

Side note: This Harry Potter cake actually made me laugh out loud. Seriously, LOOK AT THE DOBBY CAKE TOPPERS.

7. Spreads or small-plates as the meal

Though it may look very photogenic and align perfectly with your boho-chic vibe, this type of setup is extremely impractical for your guests. For starters, it only allows people to grab a little bit of food at a time, causing your attendees to make a few trips back to the table and cause unnecessary traffic. Secondly, the foods are fairly messy and will have the tendency to mix when packed so tightly together. Third, it's not very filling, and hangry guests aren't fun guests.

8. Open seating at the reception

Please, for obvious reasons, just make a seating chart. Yeah, we get that you're trying to be ~all inclusive~ and get families who wouldn't normally sit together at the same table, but in reality, families don't want to be separated at events like these. Your guests will mingle as the night goes on, and assigning seats to people will make things a little less complicated during the reception.

9. Cheesy photo-booths with props

Again, something like this would be cute for a child's birthday party, but not on your special day. Besides, does anyone actually use these at weddings? Guests often forget about this "activity" and you'll probably end up wasting your money on props, backdrops, and a camera.

10. Asking for donations in "creative" ways

So, you've already asked people to take time off of work, maybe purchase a plane ticket, book a hotel room, buy shower and wedding gifts, and now you're asking for more money? That only makes the couple seem cheap and a tad bit rude. Maybe opt in for a small activity for guests to guess the honeymoon destination on paper or offer romantic date night ideas!