Wood Tables and the Stickiness Problem
News

Wood Tables and the Stickiness Problem

Tables

2
Wood Tables and the Stickiness Problem

.

When you purchase one of our handcrafted tables, you can expect to enjoy it for years to come. In fact, we offer a lifetime guarantee on all of our products! However, in order to maintain their pristine condition, we ask that you handle the tables with care when moving them around and keep food and beverages away from the surface of the wood. Although this may seem like common sense to most people, we’ve received an increasing number of questions about how we avoid scratches on our tables and keep them looking brand new even after years of use.

The stickiness problem

Many wood tables are finished in polyurethane, which is nice when you’re buying a new table: It gives it a smooth, shiny finish. It also creates what I like to call The Stickiness Problem—whereby it never completely dries, so you can never eat or drink directly on your table without worrying that your glass will stick to your tabletop.

Polyurethane is a sticky substance that never completely dries; for example, when you rub your hand on a wood table finished with polyurethane, you can feel a slight stickiness even if your table has been thoroughly cleaned.

Understanding the alternatives

You might think that to cleaning sticky wood table, you just wipe it off with a dry cloth. Not so! These alternative cleaning options will help remove any dirt or residue on your table’s surface, leaving it smooth again: 1. Steam cleaner 2. Soap and warm water 3. Wood table cleaner 4. White vinegar 5. Acetone 6. Mineral spirits 7. Rubbing alcohol 8. Olive oil 9. Lemon juice 10. Baking soda.

Caring for these tables

Any tables made of wood will eventually become sticky as they age. So, what do you do to clean a sticky wood table? The answer is actually quite simple. First, you want to ensure that all traces of liquids or food are cleaned up. Next, clean your wooden table with warm water and dish soap (or any mild detergent). You might have to gently scrub at spots with particularly sticky residue before washing it away.

Cleaning up properly

The biggest mistake people make when it comes to cleaning up after a messy meal is not cleaning up properly. Water that sits for too long on unfinished wood tables can leave behind a sticky finish. Don’t make your wood table feels sticky again by not removing food from your wooden dining surfaces properly. Once you’ve finished your meal, wipe down any spills with a paper towel or kitchen rag before they have time to soak into the wood and damage its finish.

Conclusion

For many people, tables are one of those things that get a lot of use. That can leave your table feeling sticky, which is not only unpleasant to sit on but can also attract dirt, dust, and any other sort of grime you have floating around your house. To fix sticky wood table cleaner problems, there are a few solutions out there. Infiniterounds has a solution for wooden tables that have sticky finishes on them. It provides simple tips that enable you to remove that sticky finish from your wood table.