What It Meant To Be A Part Of The Women's March In NYC

We will always be Stronger Together

1
https://www.nytimes.com/

On Saturday, January 21st, people from all over the world poured into the streets to march in solidarity for women's rights. Hundreds of sister marches joined the original one in Washington D.C., sending out a message loud and clear: women are brave and beautiful human beings, and we deserve to have our rights respected.

Unlike what many people think, these marches were not about rejecting Donald Trump as president, but about rejecting the misogynist rhetoric that he has used and promoted throughout his campaign. Even though I have stated my position on this past election quite clearly, I will be the first one to note that both sides have brought out their worst in the last months, forgetting what democracy is really about and attacking each other instead. Whether we like it or not, Donald Trump is now the president of the United States, and disrespecting him means to disrespect the office he is now in charge of. One should never disrespect the presidency.

But the presidency should never disrespect its people.

Within a few hours of his inauguration all mentions of Global Warming and LGBTQ Rights were deleted from the White House website, leading a large number of people to expect the worst. But, hopefully the 673 marches around the world will send a message to President Trump: civil rights, gender equality, environmental justice, and tolerance should be the next items on his to do list.

To me, and approximately other 4,814,00 people, this march was about refusing to normalize the "locker room" talk that the now president has utilized. The hateful rhetoric that he used against women, people of color, Latin Americans, Muslims, disabled people, the LGBTQ+ community, and other minorities needs to stop. As the President of the U.S., Donald Trump needs to be held accountable for the things he says, and make sure his followers do the same thing.

I spent eight hours in the streets of New York City along with other 400,000 people. I met a smiling father, holding his two twin sons in his arms and saying he was marching for his wife (who was busy at the office) and his gay brother. I joined chants in Spanish, coming from fearless Latinas that were demanding respect. My friend and I sang along to Bill Wither's Lean On, lead by a group of teenagers. I high-fived a stranger whose sign matched mine with its Hamilton lyrics. I was reminded that not only we will always be stronger together, but love is stronger than hate.

I have confidence that these marches were only the beginning, and not only will we join the 10 Actions for the First 100 Days movement, but we will continue to fight for the environment, unapologetically be Nasty Women, and support each other. I know that whenever I'm feeling down, all I'll need to do is look at the pictures from the Women's Marches in all 7 continents and be ready to continue the fight.