29 Protest Signs: A Bostonian's Perspective Of The Women's March

I was one of the thousands in Boston who turned out for the world wide movement.

6
Mackenzie Dillon

I am not the type of person to be vocal in the instances of anything political, and keep my opinions on most topics to myself. Most know my view on sports, but like I said most topics. Originally, I had no desire to attend the Women’s March in Boston. I didn’t even know what it was truly for, except that it was what I was assuming a bunch of angry feminists. It was indeed, but it wasn’t just feminists who turned out.

It wasn’t just women coming together, it was men. A lot of them too actually. It was everyone wearing the “pink pussy hats” (men too). Husbands supporting wives. Dads supporting daughters. Men supporting women. It was communities of different cultures all gathering together, all supporting each other. It was thousands of people all cheering and rallying together. Everyone had a purpose and reason for being there. Whether it was for the photo-ops, supporting someone, or standing up for what he or she believes in. It was truly a spectacle and incredible to witness.

At first, I was there because I was supporting my best friend, her beliefs, and what her family believes in. She asked for me to come out and join her. I was skeptical at first then thought, what the hell. I’m not working, I love my best friend, and I’d support her in anything. Also, I love new experiences. With everything that has been going on with our government and issues globally, I thought it was important to see and listen first hand how people truly feel. A day out in Boston is never a bad idea in my book either. It was 110% worth having to switch subway trains twice. It was worth standing and barely moving in a sea of people. It was worth only having a Dunkin’s iced and three Goldfish crackers for most of the day. There were so many people flooding Boston Commons, we could barely march.

People are pissed. That's the most simple way I can put it. People marching peacefully and showing higher officials how they feel with tremendous power. There was no anarchy. No damaging of property. People were talking to one another about their positions. They were sharing personal stories and how certain government actions would now effect them. It was by far the most eye opening experience I've been a part of. I didn't talk to many people around me, but observed everyone, their signs, who they were with, and what they were talking about.

It wasn't one of those situations where you see it on the news for two minutes and onto the next breaking news story. I was there for approximately nine hours taking in the electric atmosphere.

To people who complained about not marching or barely moving in Boston, my best friend's grandmother was out there in her all her 83 year old glory. Her friend was with her too!! The two ladies were troopers.

My best friend’s close friend from college couldn’t be there. We took her photo from her first anti-Trump rally and captured pictures of it at the Boston Women's March, so she was there in spirit! She ended up all over Boston afterward.

The original march, Women’s March on Washington was in regards to people utilizing their right to having a voice in the United States. The point was to send a bold message to the newly elected government and to the rest of the world that women’s rights are human rights. Well, I do have to say. I think that day was definitely a statement piece in movements across the United States and the entire world for that matter.

Here are some more photos that were taken from the Boston Women's March Saturday January 21, 2017. Photographed by: Mackenzie Dillon