Women Aren't All Rom Coms And Rainbows

Women Aren't All Rom Coms And Rainbows

We like sports, "Star Wars" and video games, too.
3

Calling all boys and men: I bring you an important message.

Actually, feminists are welcome to get in on this too, because it’s time we put our foot down. It’s time to say “No more!” How have we ignored this giant issue for so long? I’m no feminist, but we must take a stand!

Guys, women can be sports fans, too.

Before you roll your eyes, listen up. We're sick of getting quizzed every time we bring up our favorite football team. No, we don’t need to name every single time in the AFC North to “prove” our fandom.

“You’re a Minnesota Vikings fan? Do you even know who the coach is? Do you even know what Teddy Bridgewater’s cousin’s girlfriend’s hamster’s blood type is? Well, then you aren’t a real fan!”

Point is, we can root for a team even if we haven’t memorized the stats of each player since the beginning of time. If we want to wear our favorite quarterback’s jersey, one of your skeptical little tests isn’t going to change our minds. No matter how many of the Dallas Cowboy’s tight ends you can name.

This goes for more than just sports. As women, we're expected to choose pedicures and romantic comedies over more manly stuff. And when I say manly, I mean nerding out over how hot Rey is in the “The Force Awakens.”

We can be “Star Wars” fans without an onset of the third degree, thank you very much. Just because we don’t know where Chewbacca’s home world is doesn’t mean we can’t still love the storyline. You need to just accept it, guys. You don’t get these things all to yourself.

And here’s another big one: video games. Here’s the thing, boys. There is no specification requiring video game players to be able to shoot 12 guys in five seconds, while simultaneously dodging bullets and watching your back. Some of us just like to play, despite the fact that our KD ratios are as unbalanced as 2007 Britney. If you're one of those girls who can actually accomplish the aforementioned task, you especially don’t deserve the guys’ skepticism. But, chances are, us girls are probably still really good at all the old games you’ve forgotten about. So unless you want to be challenged and defeated in a game (or 10) of Beer Karts, I would start showing a little respect.

So, boys. Men. Dudes. You are not alone in your interests. When you’re with a girl and she notices a gorgeous old car drive by on your way to get pizza, don’t quiz her on the year, make and model. The car is cool. Who cares that she doesn’t know that it’s a 1964 Pontiac GTO?

When we name our favorite band or artist, there’s no need to challenge us to a song naming contest. We like Nirvana. Or maybe Black Sabbath. Does that surprise you? Should we stick to Taylor Swift and the Beibs? Unfortunately, the Top 40 nowadays is getting way too repetitive and boring to not feel the need to delve into the history books a little. A little. That doesn’t mean we're going to commit every song and every album from the last few decades of the 1900s to memory.

This is the last straw, boys. Quit it with the quizzes, or we will retaliate. And trust me, you wouldn’t want us to make you cry in front of your friends when we kick your ass in a game of "Smash Bros."

You've been warned.